Chapter 9

I woke up in my room, the lights were dim and I knew someone was in the room with me. I could hear their silent sobs. I tried to sit up but the pain stopped me, I yelped and laid back down.

"C-Corrana?" a voice whimpered.

"F...Freed? Is that you?"

"And Lucy, Natsu, Wendy, Gajeel, and a little surprise."

"Shut up! I'm taller than Happy!" a different voice said.

"Wha-what?!"

I sat up again, holding back the yelps of pain and snapping my fingers to turn on the lights. I looked around at everyone then to Freed, his hands were behind his back.

He then revealed a lavender purple cat, that kinda resembled Happy, to me, "This is Luna, your new exceed."

"WHAT?! No way!"

"Aye! It's true! Freed found me when my old companion left me in a box on the side of the road. He took me in and told me I was gonna meet you before he leaves in a few months."

I looked at him confused, "You're leaving?"

"We all are."

"Why?"

"The last S Class Wizard Trials were cancelled because of Grimoire Heart's surprise visit. Gramps is starting them up again, so we're heading to the guild hall to pick our partners."

That's right. They disappeared for seven years. I was only eleven when that happened.

"Wait! Can't I join you?"

They all looked at each other and shook their heads.

"Master picks the few in the guild who can join. Not everyone can go to Tenrou Island."

"But...I-"

"Corrana, you're also in a bad state of health. You would be fighting monsters on this island. You wouldn't last a day."

"That's not true! I feel fine!"

"Your bones are badly damaged, you hit your head very badly during the battle."

Why weren't they listening to me?!

I could feel it, the curse working its way up to make me snap, "Get out. Now."

"Corrana?"

"I SAID GO! BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!"

Everyone ran out except for Luna and Freed. I felt him hug me, and it was like the curse was fading away.

"Don't. I need you to calm down. We'll be back in a few days."

I sniffled and hugged him back, gripping onto his red coat, "Please...don't go. It almost took over but...you calmed it down."

The silence was unbearable, I could hear the muffled whispers of the others outside my door. Luna's sniffles were next to me, but all I could focus on was him.

"Freed?"

"Yes?"

I looked at his face, his eyes were glassy with tears that have yet to well up. I raised a hand to his cheek, only to have him push it away.

"Corrana, you don't want to be with someone like me."

"What? Who said I-"

"You were talking in your sleep." Freed responded.

"Oh."

The room got quiet, I tried to ask him why, but he backed away from me, looking at me like he wanted to say something, but instead left. I broke down sobbing once the door closed, in that moment, I felt unlovable. I felt like a freak.