Chapter 17

Matches, they were all over the floor. Mariposa's body lay in a dead heap on the floor. She was dead, I couldn't feel her presence.

She did this...she did this to herself.

While the fire was going, she had stabbed herself. The knife entered her abdomen...and she has passed. I sighed and wiped my eyes, walking over to a piece of paper on the table that had somehow managed to be undamaged by the flames.

"Read the note" it read.

I picked up my aunt's body and carried it outside, where law enforcements and my friends were standing. I let the tears roll down my face as the police took my aunt out of my arms, telling me to prepare for her funeral all while the my guildmates held me in their arms as I cried hysterically for my aunt. I fell to my knees.

My one true family has died...

My heart felt broken into pieces. The only way I could explain how I felt, was through song.

"I know you so well, so well. I mean, I can do anything that he can. I've been pretty..."

I sniffled as my guildmates stood me to my feet and started taking me back to the guild, Luna rubbing the top of my head.

"I know you're somewhere, somewhere. I've been trapped in my mind, just holdin' on. I don't wanna pretend we're something, we're nothing. I've been stuck thinking bout her, I can't hold on."

As we walked through the doors of the guild, I covered my face with my hands and let out a large sob. I let everything out. I needed to cry. I heard Freed whisper in my ear to go to my dorm and wait, so I went. I sat down on the floor and sniffled.

"I'm in pain, wanna put ten shots in my brain. I've been tripping about somethings, can't change. Suicidal, same time I'm tame."

I pounded at the floor with my fist, "Picture this, in bed, get a phone call. Girl that you fucked with killed herself. That was this summer and nobody helped. And ever since then, man, I hate myself. Wanna fucking end it, pessimistic."

I stood up and leaned against the wall, my head tilted back, "All wanna see me with no pot to piss in, but people been excited about the grave I'm diggin. Havin conversations bout my haste decisions. Fucking sickening; at the same time memories surface through the grapevine bout my uncle playin with a slip knot. Post-traumatic stress got me fucked up, been fucked up since the couple months they had me locked up."

I sighed, "I'll be feeling pain, I'll be feeling pain just to hold on...and I don't feel the same, I'm so numb. I'll be feeling pain, I'll be feeling pain just to hold on...and I don't feel the same, I'm so numb."

I felt the tears down my eyes as I finished the song, "I know you so well, so well...I mean I can do anything that he can..."

I slid down the wall, my hands over my face as I bawled. I felt cold and alone. I heard the door open and looked up to see Freed. He rushed to my side and pulled me into a comforting embrace.

"I'm so sorry that this happened, Corrana. This is a tragedy."

I cried on his shoulder, unable to respond. We just sat there for a while, everything felt like hell. I had a handful of his jacket in my hand as I sobbed into his shoulder. There was no excuse for what happened. Then I remembered the note and pulled away, taking it out of my pocket. I unfolded it and read it aloud.

Corrana,

Your parents don't like me because of something that happened between your mother and I. It was an argument over your brother. He was born two months before your mother got married to your father. As that happened, she knew she had to get rid of him, but I tried to convince her otherwise.