12

After dinner, Harrison challenged Carrie to a game of Madden. He played as himself and the Panthers while she played as his nemesis Tom Brady and the Patriots.

He wasn't very fond of Brady. That was because Brady burned him the last few times the Panthers and Patriots faced off. "You ready to get burned again?" She teased.

Harrison glared at her as she received the kickoff and ran it back for a 30 yard gain. "Look at that."

"Let's see how you fare against my defense."

Before they started the game, he demanded he play as himself. So Carrie found the best team that wasn't the Panthers, the Patriots. "You love playing as yourself don't you?"

Harrison nodded. "That's because I have an overall rating of 99."

"Fancy."

So did Tom Brady. Carrie went to choose her play and noticed his eyes following her side of the screen. "Stop it."

The one disadvantage of playing against an actual professional football player, was that he knew all of the plays and how to defend against them. Whereas, she didn't. And it didn't help he could see her playbook, just like she could see his.

He knew she chose a run play. When she assumed control of the running back, Harrison's avatar broke through the line of scrimmage. "I'm coming for you."

There wasn't enough time for her to cut back. So she tried to spin away from him. Well, she ended up pushing the button that sent the running back into a hurdle which made him an easy tackle for Harrison. She lost 4 yards on the play.

Carrie tricked him for once on the next play. She picked a play action pass. Brady faked a hand off to the running back as Harrison tackled the poor guy that didn't even have the ball. He began to move towards her Brady who still had the ball. She ran out of the pocket as he chased her down.

"Damn Brady's slow."

Harrison smiled just as he caught her from behind for a loss of six more yards. "I'm just too fast."

It was now third and 20. Carrie let the game choose her next play. It was a pass play. She snapped the ball, and moved Brady around in the backfield as she searched for an open receiver. The receiver broke away from Harrison and she passed it to him for a 37 yard gain.

"Take that!"

He simply shook his head and chose another play.

❺❾

It was the fourth quarter with three seconds left in the game. Carrie was attempted a field goal from 45 yards out that would beat Harrison 10-9. She scored the only touchdown while Harrison made three field goals.

The meter on the bottom of the screen counted down until it was in the green. But Carrie clicked the button when it was in the yellow. The ball sailed wide right. Harrison had won.

"Damn it!

He just laughed, making her lean over and punch him in the arm. "It's not funny."

Harrison laughed even harder. "Yes it is."

"I want a rematch. And this time I'm going to win."

"Alright Carrie."

❺❾

She settled for watching a movie after dropping three games to him. He was watching The Perfect Storm while she checked her email.

Carrie laid on his chest while dangling her phone over the side of the couch and scrolling through email. Harrison started to fall asleep, but that was cut short when he heard a loud, "WHAT!?"

"What?"

She had her hand over her mouth. "Speak Carrie."

"The Panthers fired their general manager."

Now Harrison was wide awake. "They fired Dave?"

"Apparently."

"Why would they do that?"

Carrie shrugged. "I don't know."

He bit his lip. "Dave did so much for us."

Her eyes widened. "They also released Michael Oher."

Harrison leaned his head back against the pillow. "They released Mike? What the heck?"

"I have no idea Harrison. But I have some big news to write about."

"What about me? I'm big news right?"

She pushed at his chest. "I write about you all the time."

He smiled and closed his eyes. "Good."