39

Harrison was still signing autographs when Carrie went to find him. He enjoyed it so much that she or one of his teammates would practically have to drag him away. 

As always, he was one of the last players out there. It had been well over a half hour since practice ended. He and three other players were still out there.

She stepped up onto the walkway beside him as he handed a poster back to someone. Carrie didn't want to pull him away from what he loved, but she wanted to steal her boyfriend back so they could get on with their afternoon plans that included Luke coming over and going out for dinner.

He quickly signed another football as a little boy tried to hand him some kind of car.

"You can have this."

Harrison looked down at him and took the car. It was a black Pinewood Derby car with his number 59 painted in white and blue on the side. "Thanks. You sure?"

The little boy nodded. "How about I sign it for you and you can keep it?"

"You can have it."

"You sure?" He asked again to receive a nod in response. "Alright, I'll hang it in my locker."

"It's a winner," he told Harrison.

"Nice. I remember I built one of these when I was your age. You know, why don't you sign it? So I know it's from you."

Harrison handed the car back to the little boy. "You have to put your name on it. It's the rule."

He grabbed a sliver sharpie from somebody and handed it to the little boy. "You got it."

Harrison watched him carefully and neatly spell out his name. "Jackson. I like it."

Jackson handed the car back over to Harrison. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"You know what? I have something for you." He reached to his side and pulled out his gloves that were tucked under the waistband of his sweatpants. Harrison handed him the gloves. "Here you go."

His face lit up. "Thank you!"

"You're welcome," Harrison replied with a smile.

He took a few steps down the walkway and heard Jackson say, "this is awesome!"

Carrie couldn't help but smile. He was so great with fans. And he would definitely make a great father someday.

❺❾

Just as Harrison and Luke began watching film on the Lions offense, he got called for an emergency meeting with the Panthers front office. It left just her and Luke.

So Carrie made a quick dinner and after they ate, she and Luke played a few games of Madden 18. "Did you see that tackle?" Luke asked.

He stuffed the running back for a loss of yards. "Yes I did."

She played as Harrison while Luke played as himself. And together they were beating the Packers by 27. "So how serious are you and Captain America?"

Carrie momentarily took her eyes of the tv and ended up missing a tackle. "Why do you ask?"

"He talks about you so much. And he sure as hell loves you."

"I guess it's getting pretty serious. I just moved in with him."

"Did you get some of him yet?"

Her jaw dropped and she punched Luke hard in the shoulder. He just laughed as she punched him again. "I am not telling you."

"So its true?"

Carrie punched him again, but this time didn't give him an answer. "None of your business."

Luke smiled, knowing it was true. Then he asked, "did you guys ever think about getting married and having kids?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"No reason."

She knew Luke was somehow messing with her. Because that's how their friendship worked. "Did he ask you to question me?"

"Nope."

"You're lying."

His smile gave it away. "You've been caught. Spill it."

"Harrison didn't ask me to ask you all these questions. I was curious since he sure talks about it all the time."

He did?

"Time for me to question you. What happened between you and Shannon?"

Carrie met Luke's girlfriend Shannon once. That was when she first moved to North Carolina. And she hadn't seen her since.

"It just fell apart."

"Bullshit."

Luke playfully rolled his eyes. "Okay. She can't handle me being a football player. I apparently never had any time for her because I'm always working out, or studying film. How do you and Harrison make it work?"

"Well, I've been working around the game of football for years. Harrison's the second player I've been with. The first one only lasted in two weeks and you know how it ended. The point is, I understand because I've been around players for so long. I know how much dedication you guys have to the game. And I'll admit, there's times I miss him because he's at practice all day, or working out before I wake up. You have to tell her that football is a part of you. So is she. But she can't take football away from you. She has to be there for you, just like I am for Harrison. And if she wants you all for herself and doesn't respect the player side of you, then she's not the one for you. There you go Kuechly."

He smiled upon hearing her nickname for him. "Thanks Fisher."