68

Carrie came downstairs Christmas morning to see Harrison making breakfast. It was odd to see him up this early following a game the day before.

She stood behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist. They crushed the Buccaneers yesterday to put themselves at 15-0. Only one more win to complete their undefeated season.

He spun around and kissed her forehead. "Merry Christmas."

"You too Harrison."

He placed a finger under her chin and tipped her her head up where he pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. Their families weren't awake yet, allowing him to deepen the kiss.

Carrie jumped up into his arms. As they kissed, Harrison took a few steps to his right and set her on the counter. They kissed again. She wrapped her hands in his messy hair as he placed his hands on her hips.

Harrison then trailed the kiss down her neck before kissing her lips again. "Best Christmas ever."

She slid off the counter. Before going to check on what he made for breakfast, Carrie gave him one last kiss. "Definitely."

It turns out he made her favorite, bacon, eggs, and sausage. Carrie quickly loaded a plate for herself. The entire plate was covered, enough that neither of them could see the white plate on the bottom.

"Geez."

Carrie just shrugged. "I'm hungry."

Harrison made a plate and sat down next to her. Unlike Carrie, he wasn't such a big fan of eggs, and preferred to stick with bacon and sausage.

Halfway through breakfast, Carrie got up and ran to the sliding glass window. "Harrison look!"

He stood behind her and looked through the window. Small snow flurries were coming down and accumulating on the ground to just cover the grass.

"I haven't seen snow in years," Carrie admitted.

Harrison unlocked the door and stepped onto the deck. Carrie did the same. Together they both looked up at the very rare, fluffy white stuff falling from the sky.

All of the sudden, he felt something hard hit him in the side. He looked over to see Carrie forming another snowball in her hand. "It's on now."

Harrison compressed some snow into a little ball and threw it at her. It barely missed. "Damn it."

"You can't hit me," she teased as another one hit him right in the stomach.

He picked up another one, and when she wasn't paying attention, drilled her right in the side. "How about that?"

"That was good."

❺❾

After having a full snowball fight, and eating breakfast with the rest of the family still sleeping, Harrison and Carrie opened the presents they got for each other.

"I want you to open mine first," he said.

"Alright."

Harrison handed her a card and a small box. "You're going to love it."

She opened the card, every so often looking up at her fiancé to see him with a huge smile plastered on his face. "You're going to love it."

Then it was onto the box. "I don't know, I think you're really going to love what I got you."

Carrie opened the box even slower, making him beg her to hurry up. She yanked the rest of the wrapping paper off and her jaw dropped. It was a brand new iPad with a keyboard.

"I know you wanted something smaller."

She hugged him. "Thank you!"

An iPad was so much smaller and lighter than a laptop. That allowed her to take notes and start typing an article during a game. Plus it was so much easier to store and carry.

"Your turn."

Carrie handed him a box. "You get the card after."

It didn't take him long to rip the wrapping paper off. In his hands, he held two frames. Both contained pictures she drew of him. After his concussion, Carrie had some time to sketch out a few pictures of him playing. She gave him her favorite picture of him making an interception, just before he ran it back for a touchdown, and the picture Luke took when he proposed.

"You are amazing."

Now she handed him the card. "This is the best present you're ever gonna get."

He didn't notice anything inside the card right away. Harrison first read the little note she'd written to him. "What?"

She was grinning from ear to ear when he looked up. "Left side."

There was a small white envelope taped to the left side of the card, face down. Harrison pulled it off and flipped it around. He felt his heart momentarily stop.

Daddy open me, it read.

Daddy? Carrie's-

"You're..."

She was already crying. "Just open it."

He did. Inside the envelope was a photo of her first sonogram. Carrie pointed to a small lump in the middle of the sonogram picture.

"You're pregnant?"

She nodded and he looked down once again at the picture. "That's our baby."

Harrison looked at the picture for a few more moments, until Carrie leaned her head against his shoulder. He couldn't believe it. They were going to have a baby.

"We're going to have a baby?"

Carrie smiled when she saw the tears sparkling in his eyes. "We're going to have a baby."

He pressed his lips forcefully against hers. "This is the best moment of my life."

So I was going to save this chapter for later but then you guys were already onto it and I can't force myself to hold it off any longer.