101

IT WAS SUPER BOWL SUNDAY.

February 4th, 2018.

6:20 pm. Approximately 10 minutes until kickoff.

For Harrison, the adrenaline rush started yesterday morning. All he could think about was the Super Bowl. Last night Carrie had to talk to him as he fell asleep to keep him from thinking about the big game once again.

As he jogged out for the coin toss, he spotted Carrie on the sidelines next to Shannon. Her mom and Todd were here as well as his parents and Terrance with some extended family.

He and the Panthers prepared two years for this moment. Harrison couldn't be more excited. The offseason, practice, and all their regular season games meant nothing now. It all came down to this game. It was all or nothing.

He jogged out to midfield in U.S. Bank Stadium for the coin toss. The head referee and the Steelers captains were waiting for them.

Once Harrison and the rest of the Panthers captains were ready, they announced the honorary captains for the Super Bowl. "From the San Francisco 49ers, Joe Montana. From the Denver Broncos, John Elway. From the Atlanta Falcons, Tony Gonzalez. And here for the coin toss, please welcome Brett Favre."

The referee showed the coin to the Steelers team captain Ben Roethlisberger. "Heads. And tails."

Then he showed the coin to Harrison. "Heads, and tails."

"Congratulations Pittsburgh. Congratulations Carolina."

He turned towards the Steelers. "Pittsburgh is designed as the visitor. Heads or tails?"

"Heads."

"Pittsburgh heads. Carolina tails."

The ref then handed the coin to Brett Favre, who flipped it. "It is tails. What would you like to do?"

"Kick," Harrison answered.

"Carolina elects to kick and will receive the ball to begin the second half. Which way will you be kicking?"

Harrison pointed behind the referee. Then each captain shook hands with the Steelers captain across from them. "Good luck."

❺❾

Harrison pretty much sprinted onto the field with his teammates following. His adrenaline rush and excitement were enough to make him feel like he had superpowers.

The rest of the team joined him in the huddle. Since he was the team captain, and in charge of the defense, he knelt in the huddle, just like Cam did on offense.

He covered his ears as the play call came through. "4 out."

Then he clapped his hands together. "It's our turn today. Although no matter what happens, let's have some fun. All the other NFL teams would love to be in our position right now. So let's do what we came here to do. There will be no number 7. LETS GO!"

The defense set up for the snap. They had 4 defensive lineman, 3 linebackers, 2 cornerbacks, and 2 safeties on the field for the play. That made up the 4 lineman, and the 4 guys back in coverage. As a middle linebacker, Harrison patrolled the middle of the field from the run and short pass. Luke was beside him, and their teammate Thomas was protecting against the run to the right side in the right outside linebacker position.

Harrison saw the Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell set up on the left side of Ben Roethlisberger. "Luke, watch to the left!"

He was very quick to read the snap. As soon as he saw the ball in Roethlisberger's hands, not in a throwing position, he was on the move towards the line of scrimmage. Harrison had been right, it was a draw to the left.

Luke made some progress on the left tackle as Bell cut in that direction. Harrison came in and pushed the left tackle, freeing Luke to catch the running back as he ran by. Luke reached out and caught his foot, keeping him to a 2 yard gain.

Harrison held a hand out for Luke who took it. "Nice job!"

The two guys jogged back to the huddle where Harrison relayed another play call. The Steelers were going to pass this time. Harrison knew it by the way they were set up with 3 receivers on the left side.

He took the position as the outside linebacker over on the left side, leaving Luke and Thomas to patrol the middle. Just as predicted, Roethlisberger caught the snap and fired a quick pass to his receiver Martavis Bryant.

But Harrison was right there. Bryant was getting hit by Harrison as he tried to coral the ball. The impact was too much and the ball fell to the turf.

Thomas bumped helmets with him. "What do you think there's going to do next?"

"Pass. I need you back in coverage."

It was 3rd & 8 for the Steelers. Harrison was over the middle as the ball was snapped. Knowing Luke was going to back up from his fake blitz and take his spot, Harrison blitzed as soon as Roethlisberger caught the snap.

His teammates Julius and Mario broke a hole in the offensive line for Harrison to run right through. Ben Roethlisberger was not expecting company at all. His company charged him, forcing him to run back. As Harrison hit him, he released the ball to keep from being sacked.

There was a flag thrown on the play. Both the Steelers offense and Panthers defense stayed on the field to await the call. "Intentional grounding, number 7 on the offense. The penalty is declined. 4th down."

Harrison flexed as his teammates bumped helmets with him. Then he hurried up to catch Julius and Mario, the real reason why he was able to pressure Roethlisberger.

He patted Julius on the shoulder. "Being a boss."

Then he found Mario. "Super Mario! That was a hell of a play!"