55

"HARRISON!"

He spun around and came flying in the bathroom where Carrie was searching frantically for something. "What's wrong?"

She tore apart a drawer. "I can't find my ring. It's not here where I leave it every night, next to my earrings."

"Easy, we'll find it."

Harrison knelt down next to her and helped her search the counter, and even look under the small rug they had in the bathroom.

"Where the hell could it of gone?"

"I don't know, but we'll find it. I promise."

Carrie held a hand on her forehead. "I have no idea how I could've lost it. It was right here when I went to bed."

He put a hand on her shoulder. "Maybe one of the dogs knocked it off. Or one of us knocked it off after we both got showers. We'll find it."

❺❾

Carrie never found the ring. She looked for it all day. Searching the trash, vacuuming their bedroom, cleaning the entire bathroom, and taking both dogs to the vet to make sure they didn't eat it, Carrie still didn't find it.

Harrison was able to get her mind off it by taking her out for a picnic. It was late November. Although it was cold, he told her to dress warm since he had the perfect place in mind.

That perfect place was Bank of America Stadium. "Here?"

He nodded as they made their way to midfield. They were the only ones other than the grounds crew doing maintenance, on the field.

Carrie did have to admit, it was peaceful. There weren't people all around, like there would be in a restaurant, or packed like the park was on nights like this.

Harrison spread a blanket out at midfield, covering some of the NFL logo that was painted at midfield. It was odd to be here at this time, with hardly anyone here. She was used to being here for Panthers games, where the stadium was packed full. Today, it was just the two of them.

She sat down on the blanket next to him and patiently waited for him to bring out the food. He made pasta, his favorite dinner.

"Here." He handed her the box of pasta and two forks. Next, he pulled out water. Normally he would have wine, but right now he couldn't drink since he was still on his concussion medication.

Carrie started eating before he was done unpacking. "Save some for me."

"No, I'm just going to eat it all."

Once he had everything unpacked, he helped her finish the pasta. It didn't take the two of them very long to finish it. "This was amazing."

Harrison smiled. "Pasta is the best."

❺❾

After dinner and dessert, Harrison convinced her to play catch. "I'm full."

"Come on. We're going to play catch on a real NFL field."

Carrie made her way over to where he stood holding a football. "Fine."

"Go deep."

After playfully rolling her eyes, Carrie took off down the field and to the 20-yard line where she made a leaping catch. Setting her feet, she threw a perfect spiraled pass back to him that landed perfectly in his hands.

The next reception she made, Carrie ran into the end zone and spiked the ball before proceeding to one up him on his touchdown dance. "I do it better."

"I don't know about that."

Carrie fired a bullet back at him. "Catch that."

He did. "Those passes I pick off are thrown so much harder than that."

She let her jaw drop playfully. "How dare you?"

Harrison tossed the ball back. "How about I come at you?"

The smile stretched even wider across his face. "Let's see it."

Carrie jogged towards him and at the last second cut back, and ran to his left. He easily wrapped his arms around her. "Down. No gain."

She broke away from him and held the ball against her body like he showed her as she set up like a running back. "I'm going to get by you."

"We'll see about that."

Harrison stood about 10 feet from her, waiting for her to make the first move. "Ready?"

"Yep."

Carrie came at him. She watched his eyes focus on her feet. As soon as she took her step to the right of him, he was on her and had her wrapped up. "I got you."

❺❾

They laid on the blanket together after Carrie realized she couldn't beat the professional at his own game. No matter how hard she tired, she could not get by him.

Carrie also didn't realize the scenery of Bank of America Stadium had changed as well. When Harrison got up and pulled her to her feet, she saw a few of his teammates standing only a few feet away, all holding their phones and looking like they were recording something.

"Harrison, what's all this?" She asked nervously, seeing all the Panthers players smiling, even Cam holding a bouquet of flowers.

He pulled a small box out of his pocket. The ring. Harrison secretly had it and let her worry about finding it. "You stinker."

Her hands shot to cover her mouth as he knelt down on one knee. "This was how it was supposed to go," he told her.

"Carrie, throughout high school and all of college I never thought I could find the love of my life. I tried and tried. Until I met you. I used to never think much of interviews. I answered questions for some media service that wanted my opinion. There was just one interview that changed my life. That was when I met you."

"I never thought I could love someone as much as I love you. You are my everything. The love of my life, my best friend, and my biggest fan. You have been here for me since the beginning of the season, and through my injury. I don't know what I would do without you."

"I can't wait to see what the future brings for us. Carrie, will you marry me?"

He had her in tears as she nodded. "Yes."

Harrison slid the ring back on her finger. "Try not to loose it," he teased.

She pulled him to his feet and kissed him. "We have a wedding to start planning now."

"We do."