Of Course I Believe In Magic (Muggle!Reader)

When you were ten years old, you witnessed what appeared to be an average woman pull what looked like a twig out of her pocket, mutter something under her breath, and before you could process what happened, she had vanished into thin air. Of course you had heard stories when you were younger about wizards and fairies and dragons. Most kids stopped believing in that kind of stuff as they got older, but you weren't 'most kids'. Deep down you felt that magic was all around you, but you just couldn't see it with your own two eyes. But when you saw that woman disappear in an abandoned alleyway, it was enough to confirm your suspicion that wizards and witches did exist, and looked just like your average person. You were curious as to how wizards and witches got their powers. Can anybody become a wizard? Or did you have to be born one? Is there some magic wizarding school hidden from average human eyes? Whatever it was, you were determined to find out.

**Fourteen years later, age 24**

Fourteen years later, here you are. A detective living in New York City, one of the busiest and most crowded places in America. Not your stereotypical detective that wore a trenchcoat, totally not-suspicious sunglasses, and a fedora or deerstalker hat. You preferred to blend in with everyone else. You figured that there just had to be some wizards living in America. About a month ago, you had become curious with a pair of sisters. After a few days of what some would consider stalking, you had discovered that their names were Tina and Queenie Goldstein. Queenie was the bubbly blonde-haired sister, you would usually always find her wearing some shade of pink. Tina was the more stern dark-haired sister. Using your context clues you had determined that Tina must be the eldest. Aside from their physical appearance, what really fueled your suspicion was one morning you made the bold decision to follow the sisters wherever they were going. You stayed about twenty feet behind them as to not stir up any suspicion from them. Eventually you saw them enter the Woolworth Building on Broadway. You followed behind them; but when you entered the building, they were nowhere to be seen.

You went home that night and thought about it. Maybe the building acts as an entirely different place for wizards if they use some sort of spell, you thought.

**Two weeks later**

You hadn't really made any groundbreaking discoveries on the Goldstein sisters the past two weeks, but today got you a little curious. While standing near a lamppost on the street the Goldstein's apartment building is on, you saw the two of them enter the building with two men. You found this to be very out of the ordinary, as the Goldstein's apartment building was females-only. One was shorter in stature, with dark hair and a mustache. The other was more tall and lanky and appeared to be in his twenties. He had cinnamon colored, curly hair and was wearing a bright blue coat. You didn't have that great of a view, but you could tell his face seemed to be littered with freckles. In his hand he was gripping a brown leather case.

He was the last to go in, and you, not realizing you were staring, caught him looking straight at you for a brief moment before following the others inside. You were sort of embarrassed that he had caught you staring, but you had to admit: he was pretty cute.

*

Over the next few weeks, you kept seeing the blue-coated curly-haired man around the city. You never got too close to him, as you feared that there was a possibility he was catching onto your spying habits on the Goldsteins. Yet you also wanted to talk to him and get to know who exactly he was. (Oh, and french kiss him. He looks like he tastes like pastries or somethin like that). Next Friday, however, was different.

*

You weren't doing anything involving the Goldsteins today. You've been taking a break all week. You were walking down the busy street holding a steaming cup of coffee, when the Gods decided to make it rain. Hard. You didn't have an umbrella to use, so instead you tightly wrapped your coat around your body and began to walk as fast as you could in your heeled boots to get back to your apartment.