4.Red

I was wandering around the forest nearby. Izana wasn't very fond of me going alone into the woods but I finally snuck out after what Zen had taught me on the first day we met.

The area was quite isolated yet many people come for the island's preciously rare herbal plants and fertile soil.

I casually walked through the forest path, my gaze lingering straight until it landed on something....red.

Red? Red hair? That's rare.

I thought as I went closer to the red headed maiden. She seemed to be searching for something since she was holding a book along with her sash bag full of unknown items.

She seemed to notice me staring at her because she looked up and smiled at me. I smiled back in return.

She finally stood up before coming towards me. "Hey. Are you from around here? I need to search for the yura petals to cure colds but it needs to be the red one and I keep finding only white ones."

"I think I may have seen some red flowers over there," I pointed to her left amd she looked at its direction. "But it might not be what you wanted though."

"Hmmm..wait! IT IS THE RED YURA PETALS!! Thank you so much! I can't believe I've found it!" she exclaimed gleefully as she plucked a handful of the delicate scarlet petals with her snow, white hands.

"I owe you for finding them. I'm Shirayuki, by the way." she said as she turned back to me.

"Oh, I'm Lera. Don't mind about it, I was simply lucky to find them." I said.

"I guess I could at least buy you some bread and we could perhaps, talk for a while?" Her radiant smile shone through my gaze.

I agreed and we walked to a nearby resthouse together. Her glowing red hair was short and she had to put on the hood of her cloak as to not attract attention.

She explained about her arrival in Clarines and I started to realize her intentions of leaving her homeland, Tanbarun and starting a new life here in Clarines.

"How about you, Lera? What brings you here?" she asked as my mind furried for answers. What should I say?

"Well, I came for a business deal with the palace. And...um, I'll probably be staying here for a while." I answered.

More like forever....

"I see, then we could probably meet back in the town too! I'm studying there but I will definitely get a job soon. I hope..."

Her voice seemed down. She sounded like someone who had searched a job for ages only to be disappointed upon.

"How about I ask the palace for a position?" I asked, as her emerald eyes looked straight into my black ones.

"I appreciate the help but, I want to do it of my own progress." she declared with hope lingering in her eyes.

I wished I was like her. Being able to do things with my own effort and progress. "If you say so. But I'll help you anytime. Afterall..."

"....we're friends!" she finished my sentence for me. I smiled in satisfaction.

♢♢♢

After my encounter with Shirayuki, I told her to come meet me at the palace whenever she wanted. Then I went back to where Izana and I planned to stay.

I tiptoed across the hallway, hoping Izana didn't find out about my time outside or my return.

I finally reached my doorstep.... I opened the door.....

Only to find Izana standing in the middle of the room.  He looked upset with his arms folded, yet his face lit up when he saw me.

He walked over to me and grabbed my shoulders. "Lera, where have you been?! Have you any idea how worried I was to not find you in your room??"

I lowered my head in regret. I knew he'd be worried but not THIS worried.

"S-sorry. Izana, I was just going for a walk nearby. I'm perfectly fine, you know." I assured him as he sighed in relief. Then he walked towards the door.

"I'm just glad you weren't harmed. Now, we shall proceed to have our breakfast," he stopped before glancing back at me. "And I will not tolerate another action such as what you did today."

I was startled by his cold, stern tone and his icy gaze. But I nodded to satisfy him. I didn't think he'd be this aggressive.

Or is he just being possessive?

Izana walked out of my room to have breakfast. I was about to change my clothes when I heard a knock on my window. I turned to see what was the cause.

Surprisingly, it was Zen. I went over to the window and opened it.

"Hey." he said with a smile accompanying his presence. "What are you doing here?" I asked, my voice tired after Izana left.

"Don't be so cold. Well, I guess you'd be like this after one of Brother's teachings." he chuckled slightly, only to annoy me.

"Don't be like that, you promised to hang out with me, didn't you? Come meet me at the forest entrance after sundown. I'm sure you can sneak out. You already did from my brother once." he said before turning to leave.

"Wait, how are you so sure that I will come?" I asked. Indeed, a promise can be broken. I don't want to be one to break promises but Izana's wrath might probably become the end of me.

"You will. It's a gut feeling but I feel like you aren't that type of person to ditch people." he grinned before jumping off the balcony to wherever he was going.

Am I? Am I really the type of person he says that I am?

Will I be able to disobey Izana? Or am I just a coward with no sense of pride?

Even I didn't know myself. But I would try to.

As a princess of my homeland, I would keep my word. To meet Zen.