43.Sunshine

Lera's POV

It felt warm. It was blissful. It was everything I could ever hope for. I snuggled into Izana's chest as he chuckled in delight. I let out a sigh of content as I hugged him even tighter.

"Lera..." He called softly.

"Hmm..?" I hummed in response, still enjoying his warmth.

"Wake up, Lera."

"Wake up, witch." A stern, cold voice alerted me as I woke from my dream and I realised I was still in a nightmare.

It was the guard that was assigned to bring me food and water daily. He unlocked the door to the chamber I was in before walking in with a plate of food and a cup of water.

"Um..." I started. "What is going to happen to me?" I asked in curiosity. Izana might be in command but he was no longer in control of what was happening to me.

"Shut it, you witch. With what you have done as treason, you could easily have been executed."

Executed???

Noticing how confused I was, the guard hesitantly continued. Perhaps honour for his country was the only reason he was hostile towards me. "Have you no idea what happens to people of your kind?"

"You will be burnt at the stake in public. That is the only reason why they bother keeping you alive."

I shook my head in horror.

No!

"W-who do you mean b-by 'they'...?" I asked, my voice shaking terribly. The guard sighed in pity before answering.

"Obviously, it's the future princess of Clarines and the nobles on her side."

Future princess...???

"By future princess, do you mean Anri?" I questioned, unsure of whatever she was planning. I didn't understand it much though. I had at least made out the fact that she might be he King's offspring instead of Kaine but I still didn't know what her intentions were.

The guard refused to answer me anymore so I was left with a bundle of thoughts. My only choice was to stay put until they take me away for the stake.

I had never thought waiting to die was the worst type of anticipation ever. I hugged myself to calm down my trembling nerves and at the very least hold on the hope that I can do something about it.

Why does this have to happen now..?

It was then that I realised that I had been very lucky to even have come that far. I survived through the kidnapping and the escape, the rescue mission for Kisa and Aquis' capture.

I had lost so many things along the way. My parents, my home, my status....

But there was one thing I do not intend to lose. That is, my right to tell the truth. I deserved a trial in which I could prove myself to be rightful and that their charges were false.

This was Clarines.

And I deserved every chance of being able to prove my innocence.

♢♢♢

??? POV

With quick and firm paces, Izana hurried to meet his mother, the Queen. He knew somehow that his mother had something to do with the recent incident but he also felt that it wasn't right to blame her for the whole cause.

As the door opened after a long creak, Izana went in to see not only his mother but the stranger of his thoughts, Anri, as well.

"Why is she here?" Izana asked with a bitter tone. It wasn't abnormal to react so hostile because even though the entire palace was in a ruckus, Anri seemed to have a natural grin on her face.

"Izana..." Haruto spoke with a voice so saddened that Izana almost forgave her for her intentions. He had found out the other day about her plans to marry off Lera with Kaine.

It wasn't much of a surprise for others to break his relationship with Lera. What came as a surprise to him was the fact that his mother was the perpetrator this time.

But he was still oblivious to a hidden fact. The fact that Anri was his half-sibling and not Kaine. Even Haruto refused to inform him about that after having been threatened by Anri.

"Your Highness, I have come to negotiate for the sake of your beloved Lera." Anri spoke first. Haruto remained silent as even she felt ashamed to inform her son whatever Anri was planning.

"For Lera? Let me laugh." Izana responded bitterly. "You never wanted her around and now you managed to put her in prison even under my supervision. What makes you think I would accept any word that comes out from your mouth?"

Anri was dumbfounded for a moment. She hadn't expected Izana to be so aggressive when it came to protecting his love. But she had a plan.

"Even if it is to prevent the love of your life from getting burned at the stake?"

Izana froze at this. Lera...punished for a crime she didn't do with her life...?

"You should be much respectful with me from now on if you want her to live." A smirk began to form on Anri's lips as Izana looked at her in disgust.

"What do you want?" Izana asked with a sigh. He was willing to do anything for Lera. She had been the light of his dull, controlling life. He wasn't about to let that ray of sunshine perish when he could do something about it.

"Your end of the deal is to take my hand in marriage."

...

Even if he had to treasure that light from afar.