30.Rogue

"Smile, would you please?" Aquis said. "I don't want them to think that I'm forcing this on you." With maximum effort, I curved my lips into a reasonable smile. In every way I can think of, you are.

"Good." he commented. "Let's meet our guests now, shall we?" he extended his arm and I had no choice but to take it. Nodding, he pulled me with him to where we would be meeting.

"Lera!" I looked at the man who was a good friend of mine. "I didn't think I'd find you back here! What in the world has gotten into you!?" Raj questioned. I tried not to cry.

"Prince Raj of Tanbarun. I have decided that it would be most honourable to serve my own country again. To do so, it was the perfect chance to get married to the next ruler of this kingdom, King Aquis the First."

It almost felt like an obvious lie. I was to remember these words and say them to anyone who questioned Aquis' succession and my engagement to him. To anyone who was suspicious of the case and couldn't be killed.

"B-but...!" Raj didn't seem satisfied by my answer at all. "What about Clarines?!" My inner self was frowning deeply and I wasn't even allowed to show it.

"What about it? I had her engagement to Prince Izana cancelled two days ago. Besides, I heard he had a new fiancè."

I looked at Aquis in awe. Really??? Izana is engaged to another??? "Such a fortune, I must say. Princess Lera is a woman of great importance. I will make sure to dear her for as long as she lives."

Until you kill me and name it an accident...that is... "Why don't you enjoy the party now, Prince Raj? I'm quite sure the drinks will be to your liking."

"I shall. But do permit me to have a talk with Princess Lera afterwards. I am a close friend of hers after all." Raj said and I almost thanked him out loud.

"Very well. I shall arrange a time and place for you." Aquis simply told him. But he didn't seem like one to allow it without proper surveillance.

Zen had tried to pick a fight with Aquis' army but he got sent away as he couldn't be harmed at all costs and he was forced his way back to Clarines and couldn't get Kisa, Angov or me out.

Kisa and Angov were safe in a way. As long as I helped Aquis with his political issues, Kisa and Angov were to be given proper treatment and live.

"Well, that's it for today. Have your rest now. Make sure you know what to say to Prince Raj tomorrow." I nodded my head, refusing the urge to just scream and let everything out.

Once he closed and locked the door, I sighed. Even if I screamed, it would only cause confusion among the guests and risk my family's lives again.

Izana...is....engaged..... I felt my tears stream down my cheeks. I crouched and hugged my knees. The slash on my back was healing but it was going to leave a mark.

My hair was cut short and I could no longer find the reason why Izana would ever love me anymore. I was scarred, stripped off my dignity and a coward.

I had run away multiple times and I must agree. This was what I deserved. The perfect punishment for someone like me. Sometimes, I remembered the times when Izana embraced me in his arms.

It would be the only comfort to drift me off to sleep. I remembered the promises we made that were now empty. I remembered our love, lingering in our delightful minds.

All of it was gone now. I had none left. Sobbing, my eyes got tired and I finally fell into sleep. Perhaps....Raj could help me escape....together with Kisa and Angov.

I devised a plan inside my head and slept. Maybe it could work this time...

♢♢♢

Meanwhile in Clarines...

"The King is dead." Lord Haruka announced. "His presence was mighty and honourable. I, along with the people of Clarines, weep for the royal family's loss."

Rain poured from the skies, noting a grave funeral. "The queen will continue on the rule. She will soon pass it on to her son when he is of age and married."

"Are you alright, my lord?" A certain blonde maiden asked her fiancè. The crown prince simply nodded. He was not in the mood to talk. If it were Lera, she would stay silent by his side with that stupid frown on her face.

But that stupidity was comforting in Izana's eyes. A week had passed since his engagement to Lera got cancelled. Haki was there as her replacement.

She might be able to replace as a political figure but she could not be a replacement for Izana's heart. So Haki stayed silent, not angered by his feelings or her situation.

But she was more than willing to help heal Izana's abandoned heart. For more than a dozen tries now, she had tried to get an invitation from Arinos so she could go and persuade the ravenette princess to come back to Clarines.

And put an end to Izana's solemn heartbreak. "Let me get you some tea then." Haki said and left, glancing back at the blonde prince who seemed to be in a state of daze as he stared out the window.

He had pondered for days. Why had Lera left him? Was he merely not enough for her love?? What could he possibly do to get her back???

The confusion was too much. He decided in his last thoughts that he would be paying Arinos a visit. And meet his beloved Lera once again.

"You're going to Arinos, my lord?" Haki asked when Izana told her of his plans. Of course, not involving the amtter on Lera.

But she knew. She realised. She did not question his actions. If Izana and her were married, it would not be a marrisge of love but rather one filled with duties and responsibilites.

"As you wish." Haki complied. "I will stay in Clarines while I wait for your safe return."

The ride there was going to be tough but even Aquis couldn't refuse the crown prince's arrival. He taunted Lera to not say a single word in front of him.

"But I can't just act like a statue!" Lera yelled at him for the first time in a while. She was overjoyed to hear about Izana coming to Arinos but at the same time, she was afraid. Afraid of seeing him with his new significant other.

"Why? You want his affection!?? Do you think he would like a lifeless, scarred woman like you!?" Aquis' words were like spears piercing into her trembling heart.

She replied nothing. Aquis smirked in his most evil menace and snarled at her. "If you ever thought about him ever loving you again, you've got your sister and brother's life at stake. So stay shut and be obedient."

What choice did she have? All she could do was nod and obey. All she wished was to see Izana again even if he was already out of her reach.

Even if she had everything to prevent her from seeing him.