5.Trouble

The night was dark, mysterious and full of unknown things since it was my first time walking alone to the woods. I made sure I didn't leave a trace or hint of me sneaking out again.

Where in the name of god is he?!

I became impatient over Zen's late arrival and decided to wander around the woods even though I knew both Izana and Zen would be furious about it.

No. It can't be some sort of animal. The rustling is faint yet still not stopping...

I looked around, eventually entering the woods and heading to where I heard the heavy rustling. Soon, I heard two people talking. One was holding a firestick while the other looked like she had fallen off a tree.

I adjusted my eye to the darkness and finally noticed the maiden's familiar red hair. Wait...isn't that...Shirayuki???

Apparently, the man holding the firestick seemed to be trying to recapture her.

Not on my watch!

I hurriedly ran across the bushes and stopped in front of Shirayuki, stretching out my arms to show my dominance.

"Lera??! What are you doing here??" Shirayuki asked but I had no time to answer. The man was holding out his knife to attack the both of us.

"Well, well....seems like it's my lucky day huh? I get to capture two valuable assets in one single day and judging by how you look, I can probably keep you for some time too." he grinned in a weird way which sent shivers down my whole body.

Where are you, Zen?!

Why can't you be here right now with your karate-chop high jump kicks and surprise landing hits?

I looked around for him yet he disappeared from where I had last seen him.

No hope in geting rescued by Prince Charming I guess.....

The man cautiously walked over and stopped a few meters before me. He seemed to be wary of my influence. Maybe he thought I had some tricks up my sleeve.

I have none! What do I do?? Think, Lera, think! Use that educated brain of yours!!!

Then, an idea rang into my head like a miralculous light bulb. I calmed myself down before walking closer to the man himself.

"I surrender. I don't want to get hurt so please," I stuck my hands out to show my genuine surrender.

"Lera, you should run!!!" Shirayuki warned me yet I continued on with my plan.

"Why, aren't you such an obedient girl?" he cooed against my ear and I flinched slightly. He grabbed my hands and tied them tightly with a rope.

Shirayuki was now able to stand up and was willing to to fight for both our freedom as she tried to grab some things from her satchel.

"Oh no. I'm not falling for your tricks twice." he said and ran over to Shirayuki to stop her from whatever she was doing. Unaware of what he had lost.

I now clasped the tight ropes to loosen. I had grabbed his hand knife while he was in midst of capturing Shirayuki.

I ran swiftly towards the man with the knife in my hand.

Am I really going to stab this man?

Will I get my hands bloodied and capable of killing??

Will I be able to take his life???

Just when I was in my thoughts, the man quickly whipped his head around to face me and grasped my hand harshly which made me drop the knife.

How did he?!

"Did you really think you could fool me? Did you think I would not feel my equipment missing??" he smirked and gripped on my hair.

I screamed in pain as Shirayuki came closer to me and tried to yank the man off me. But he wouldn't buldge one bit.

Our efforts were meaningless yet I could still see the hope gleaming in Shirayuki's eyes. My eyes were about to close before I finally saw a glimpse of white hair flash across my sight. I felt my hair being released as Shirayuki rushed over to help me.

My eyes reopened only to see Zen with his sword aimed at the man who now had a bruise on his cheek, probably from Zen's accurate kick.

Good job Zen!

"What do you think you're doing?!" Zen questioned and the man only cowered in fright. He seemed to feel inferior to Zen.

But I could care no less. Shirayuki is now safe and I could probably be banned from going outside ever again since I could see the sun rising and Izana will probably find out that I snuck out.

I can care no less.

I can care no more.

I am still alive to see another day come and go by.

Afterwards, the man, who was guilty for kidnapping and violent actions, was arrested by the soldiers assigned by Zen himself.

Even after having faced tremor in his hands, Shirayuki encouraged the man to have a new start and live life the way it is. It worked since I could see the genuine belief in his eyes just before he left for a year in prison.

I felt sorry for the guy. He lost his family and fortune and he was just trying to get money to buy his mansion back. He was just facing the downs of life.

But it could only get better for him, right?

"Wow, I'm glad you're alright." Zen finally talked to me after his job was done. "Just a little pain in the head, thank you." I sarcastically replied and he chuckled.

"Brother was right! You are one interesting woman to handle with." he said and I glared at him.

"That's rude, wh-"

My response was paused by Shirayuki coming to thank Zen. They seemed to know each other. Maybe even before I met Zen.

And Zen seemed to blush at some things Shirayuki said. I felt apart from their world. Until Shirayuki turned to me.

"Thank you so much, Lera! If it weren't for you, I would have been sold as a slave to some eccentric noble." she said as she held my hands in hers.

I simply smiled back. Because there was nothing to say.

Except to promise that I'd meet her again. Zen also made her promise to visit the palace.

I wonder why....