29.Hero

"Kisa...."

No response. "Kisa..!"

Her eyes slowly fluttered open as a feeble reaction. When she saw us, her eyes lit up. "Lera, Angov...! You came!!" she smiled. But something seemed to bother her already tortured mind.

"Look, we have to get out of here as fast as possible. It's a trap! He did it to lure you in here!" Kisa huffed. She seemed awfully tired and frustrated.

"Here, let's get you out of those chains." Angov said and cut out the chains with his sword. The cuffs were still on but we couldn't careless. We needed to get out of there. Fast.

"Angov, what do we do now?" I asked, worried.

Just then, we heard the voices of guards from the outside. My heart clenched as I feared the worst coming. The door could open and moment and all three of us could be doomed.

But luckily, the guards just passed by and didn't seem to notice that we were here. "We need to get out the same way we got in. We need to go back to Father's study." Angov replied.

Somehow, we got in with the help of priests covering our way into the palace grounds but entering the castle was a harder task. We had to use the secret passage that Father built for safety purposes.

As soon as our course was clear, I got out followed by Kisa with Angov to support her. "Come on." I said and hurried to our escape route.

We made our way there and I opened the door slightly, getting the three of us get in easefully. "The halls are empty. It's too good to be true." Kisa thought.

I pushed the bookshelf, stuggling and Angov helped me. Zen had to wait outside since the priests wouldn't allow foreigners to enter. We had to make through this alive. Somehow.

As I was opening the passage, I feared if anyone would open the door and find us. Previous royals trying to infiltrate their premises. Which was once our home.

"Well, looks like no one is here. We're going to make it." Angov said gleefully. I had a weird feeling in my guts somehow noting me that I was going to fail somewhere.

We crossed the passage, remembering which turns to make. "Eh? The priest who guided us isn't here anymore." I said. Angov looked in my direction and was as confused as me.

"He is supposed to be here. Where is he!?" Angov was angry and scared. I understood. Who wouldn't be? "You don't suppose something happened to him? Anyone can betray anyone at this point." Kisa pointed out.

"No! Priest Thamos vowed in the name of the king to guide us to safety. He can't just leave us whenever he wants." Angov retorted. It appeared he had a strong sense of justice for his belief.

"Alright. We can wait a while for him to get here. But any later, we're going to have to leave him." I said. Angov settled Kisa down onto the floor and she sighed in relief touching her wounded body that was once flawless.

"Don't worry. Once we get back, Zen can get you some medicine and you'll be all patched up." I said. Kisa simply sighed.

"Zen? Is he the man you were supposed to marry? Or was it the other one? I'm sorry but my head is really hazy right now."

"Kisa....you're not going to die, are you?" I was afraid she might say yes. Kisa smiled, a gentle look clearly shown on her exhausted face.

"Who knows? I have failed the succession and Arinos both. Nothing will be working out for me from now on." she replied. Angov just sat nearby, staying silent to our conversation.

"But Lera...you know, sometimes...life can surprise you in the most drastic ways. You'll never guess who overthrew our father."

My voice wavered. "W-who?"

"None other than me of course..." A voice was heard coming from the other direction. "I-It can't be...." Had the whole kingdom been occupied by traitors?!

"Aquis!" Kisa growled. Before us, he stood in his prime superiority. Angov got his sword out and I did the same. Aquis just watched us much to his amusement.

Soldiers and guards came up from behind him and approached our trembling selves. But Angov held his ground and I tried to do the same.

"What a surprise. The Listless Princess Lera doing swordplay. Your parents would ridicule such impertinent behaviour."

Angov roared out of pain and I looked to the side to find him getting beat up by the outnumbering forces. "Let him go!" I rushed to his aid but that would make Kisa completely defenseless.

One of the guards captured Kisa and tied her up. I was frustrated. Not being able to save anything.

"It's all over now."

I felt my heart stop once I saw Angov at his complete mercy. "Drop your weapon now or he'll be dead in a mere second." Aquis threatened.

How could this happen?

I knew it was a trap yet I still did it. I should have known better. I still held onto my sword, afraid even the slightest moment would get Angov's head sliced off.

"Well?"

Knowing it was my father's aide doings ached my heart but seeing Angov beaten to a pulp and unconsious in front of me was just so...

So...infuriating....!

Just then, Aquis grabbed ahold of my hair and pulled me towards him. "You refuse to submit to me. I'm guessing you've changed quite impressively, milady." he cooed.

I refused to shed any tears. I couldn't let this man have the pleasure of seeing me cry. Moreover, I was confused, furious and had the intention to kill.

Annoyed by my response, he pulled at my hair harder and I winced. "If that is what you wish, my only option is to kill your brother." He held my hair tightly as if punishing me to watch it, much to his pleasure.

One of the guards positioned to strike Angov and that was when I lost all logic. Grabbing ahold of my sword, I did something unbelievable.

Yes, I knew my hatred could not simply kill Aquis. I didn't have the courage for that. I was scared but I was willing to sacrifice. With one final move, I swung the sword upwards.

I felt my hair fell onto the cold marble floor. But I could care less. I ran towards Angov and embraced his trembling body with all my might. The guard's sword striked at me and I felt it.

The agonising pain. The slash on my back was more than painful. I did not regret it in the slightest. It was worth the pain. Somehow, I felt like my parents would have been proud of me.

Everyone was speechless. Denying to even let myself cry, I let out short yelps in response to my wound. "Lera...!" Kisa cried. "How dare you hurt my family!" she growled and struggled to break free.

Aquis smirked in victory. How could we have been fools to his masked face!? My eyes were getting hazy and I felt like i lost plenty of blood.

"Now now, there's a lot more time than we think. Why don't we have a little negotiation?"