33.Secret

I was to go to the meeting room to join Aquis and Izana on their conversation. But my only role was to be silent and graceful as usual.

The maids quickly dressed me and helped me get ready. They were quick and precise but were nowhere near being as comforting as Kinare.

Heels thudded against the cold floor and the door was opened by waiting butlers as I entered. Inside was Izana sitting nonchalantly. He didn't even bother to look at me.

Was he mad?

"Greetings, Aquis. Prince Izana." I said and curtsied. He just nodded without any eye contact and kept on focusing to make everything awkward.

He is mad...

"Have a seat, Lera. Izana asked for your presence." Aquis said and I took my seat beside between Aquis and Izana as it was a circular table.

Izana suddenly looked at me after a moment passed. "Aquis, would Clarines investing in Arinos' development interest you by any chance?" He asked suddenly.

Of course, I knew how much Aquis wanted it. "Most definitely, I would be grateful, no, obliged to thank you forever." Aquis responded.

"You wouldn't need to thank me forever. I just want one thing in particular." Izana said calmly. "Anything." Aquis gleamed. What was Izana trying to scheme?

His eyes made their way back to me. I gulped hoping it wasn't what I thought it was. All the things I would do... Loving Izana was now like a sin for me.

"I want....."

♢♢♢

Meanwhile in Clarines...

The fair-haired prince clutched his fists tight angered by his incapability to protect his friends. After a simple recognisation, only he got away to safety.

"Zen, calm down." Mitsuhide said. Both of Zen's closest bodyguards were more than worried for Zen's emotions. "Please, I need to be alone." Zen murmured but it was loud enough for the two to leave the room.

Wavering, the young prince shook abnormally torn by the loss of his father and the capture of his friends. Moreover, Lera was taken.

He had promised to take care of the ravenette and yet, all he could do was watch from the sidelines. Bitter, he was the one who told Izana about Lera's situation.

"Can't I do anything for once!?" He was mostly angry at his own weaknesses. "Zen?" He heard a familiar voice call from outside.

"You can come in." He finally said. With the door opening came in Shirayuki. She was a bit flustered from seeing Zen yet her ambitions kept her solemn.

"Zen, I understand that you are feeling bad lately." She started. Still Zen refused to look directly at her. "But it is no excuse to just suffer alone. I'm sure Lera wouldn't want you to be like this."

Finally, the prince turned at the persistent red head. Her eyes were gleaming with hope that Zen would feel encouraged to be his happy-go-lucky self once again.

"You're right...." He spoke at last. "I'm sorry if I worried you." Shirayuki only smiled in response. It had been hard for hee as well. In her heart, she was upset that Lera never told her about all of this.

Back in Arinos...

Lera's P.O.V

"Lera, I presume?" Aquis was not hesitant at all. "I'm afraid it would cost much more than that. She is my bethrothed after all."

You bastard....am I something to be wagered!?? Yet, I do not deserve to have that pride....I have been too scarred already...

"I see," Izana wasn't wavered at all. Instead, he had a small grin on his face. Aquis was eager to demand much more with having to lose me. "Then, how does war sound to you?"

Eh!?

"W-What do you mean...?" Now, Aquis was the one stuttering. Izana was willing to go to war for me or was it just a bluff to scare Aquis into submission?

"Like you said, Lera is worth so much more than some financial support from a neighbouring kingdom. If you must know," Izana smirked. "I'm willing to go to war with the entire Arinosian empire for her."

Aquis started in his own twisted way. "I'd hate to mention this but you are in Arinos at the moment, I can have you arrested and thrown into the cells or even kill you off before your mother can come to rescue you."

"Ah....is that so?" The conversation was getting more and more intense with every second. "But something is telling me that an entire unit is ready to aid me outside right now."

Almost instantly, Aquis scurried to look out of the window and I slightly followed him to see if Izana was telling the truth. "Impossible! I had heard nothing of this!" Aquis was frustrated....I could tell.

"That's because I made sure of that. Arinos is a strong yet young kingdom but your ascending only made the people all the more careless."

Izana finally stood up. It was true. I could see a fleet of soldiers waiting outside ready to attack on Izana's call. "Now, what will it be?"

Aquis turned to him in horror, his eyes taunted with regret and plead. "I beg you, do not harm Arinos." He croaked. "I will set Lera free. Along with Kisa and Angov."

"Really?" I asked. "You will really let us go??" Aquis spoke no further. "I believe my decision will make you withdraw your troops back to your country."

"Aquis," I called but he held up his hand for me to pause. "Just go. I hope you live your own life now. Even with your.....flaws...." Then, he left.

I suppose anyone can hurt a young king with that of an old saying.

Somehow, I felt sorry for Aquis. Even though he betrayed my parents when they were almost completely dependent on him. Even when he tortured Kisa and Angov for aiding me. Even when he imprisoned me to be a part of his lies.

"Now, I certainly think I deserve a word of gratitude." Izana said. At last, my eyes were on his. "Well, what do you have to say?"

Tears were gleaming on the edges of my eyes, threatening to fall. Actions spoke much more than words so that was exactly what I did. I rushed into his arms.

After a comforting moment, I started to question him. "How did you get an entire force to arrive so conveniently??" I asked. His eyes wavered around a bit before speaking.

"I....well, I made the Tanbarun prince to order his men to dress up as mine." Raj!?? "It was the perfect chance.....it was.."

"A bluff!" I interrupted. "How could you! If Aquis had known, you would have been risking your life!" I was more than worried.

Izana just let out a chuckle. That charming laugh that I had always enjoyed to see. "Now, you know I would dare to go to war for you..." His eyes bore into mine.

"It's alright now, Lera. I'll have everything ready by tomorrow and your siblings will be with us the entire way back to Clarines." He patted my head lovingly.

In return, I hugged him tighter to which he responded by embracing his arms around me. "Thank you, Izana. Thank you..."

The night sky twinkled like a miracle that shone at an unexpected time at an immeasurable brightness. I spent the night in Izana's arms, thinking of how I would be meeting everyone again once I got back.

Home.