12.Worth

"Check." Raj smirked, gesturing the way his bishop had targeted my king. I sighed in my mind. How did this even end up with me playing chess against the Prince of Tanbarun?

I calmly moved my horse to keep his bishop in place and thus, protecting my king. Raj frowned from how I had countered his very obvious offence and strategically moved his queen so he could finish the game in his favour.

How hasty...I smirked from how his play was so simple and straightforward. I finally moved my horse to his surprise and the game ended with a checkmate.

"The winner is Princess Lera." Izana said and Raj just frowned in nuisance. "Perhaps, I may have been a little lost in the head these days..." he stubbornly said and I just smiled in victory.

Sincerely, I didn't realise we were allowed to play chess against nobles or foreign high classes here. Earlier that day, I was taking a walk in the garden when I met face-to-face with Raj. I had no company with me and he had his bodyguard close to him.

The brunette prince smirked and greeted me. I politely curtsied back. "What a surprise to see you here, Princess Lera! Apparently, the odds are against me." he spoke.

"How do you mean?" I asked and he just chuckled annoyingly. "I'm a busy man, you see....and back then, your sister happened to be a total waste of my time."

Then it struck me. Prince Raj of Tanbarun used to court Princess Kisa of Arinos. Kisa had never actually considered marrying for diplomatic reasons. Unlike me. I was sure she rejected him but Raj claimed that he hadn't approach her in the first place.

However, the roses and letters he sent daily back in Arinos were good evidences.

"I suppose it pities me of how Arinos can hold up being such a puny country. I cannot imagine how your sister took up the duty to control it and still refuses to marry a high deity like me. Surely, she could have known that I would be meritable for her cause."

Was he dissing my sister?

"I apologise for any inconvenience but apparently, my sister has no use for useless husbands." I thought.

"Would such complaints have any reason being told to me?" I asked and he just walked past me. "You, unlike your sister, has decided to marry into foreign. You could say I'm proposing a good deal for you right now. Since you especially don't have any exceptional talent, I suppose I could spare you some of my generosity and have you as my wife."

"Pardon?" I questioned, perhaps a little too unladylike. What was this man thinking asking for my hand in marriage. From that moment, I knew I hated him with every ounce of my soul.

"Like I said, you will be mine and become queen. You will live a life of luxury and fame and the glory of bearing my children." he explained enthusiastically.

So he wanted me to live as a public figure, a living statue...

"I'm sorry but I might have to refuse that offer," I replied calmly. "I may not have noticeable talent but I am not going to live a life without any accomplishments."

Raj just looked at me in despise. "I see you are as stubborn as your sister. You failed to see the better."

"You know, I wish you would be more straightforward sometimes. I do not like you talking down on my family like that."

"Hahaha, a sensitive person, might I say? How about we decide this with a game of chess?" he declared. Chess had been my childhood. And surely, he didn't know that.

"I accept your challenge. If I win, you will take back what you had said about my family. And never say it again." I said.

"Then, if I win, I will have you beg for my care and you will plead on your knees for me." he said with a smug face. Really, how sadistic can he be?

"Deal." I agreed. We had the duel at the guests' lounge room that day and supposedly, I won. Good thing that chess was my sport. It was the only thing I was better at than Kisa.

"...." Raj looked down. He didn't say anything. "Well..?" I said and he finally looked up. "....I..." he started and I awaited his statement. "I'm sorry for all the insults I have made on you and your family. I...uh...I also promise not to do it ever again." he said. I was glad that I won the game.

But at the same time, I felt sorry for him. It wasn't his fault that he was born the way he was. Simply nobody knew better than to let him do as he says.

"I gladly accept your apology. And do not fret, I will make sure this stays between us." I smiled. He looked up with hopeful eyes and finally gathered up the courage to walk up to me.

Tears were pricking at the corner of his eyes but his pride wouldn't let them be shown. Raj wiped them with his sleeve and finally held out his hand for a shake.

I shook it. "So...it's a truce between us, alright?" I asked and he nodded. "Of course it is. And perhaps you could have the honour of being my friend." his words were still stubborn with pride but I could see the gratitude in his eyes.

I nodded without hesitation and finally, the conflict between us ended followed by a friendly truce. Raj stayed for a few more days until he left for Tanbarun. Before he left, he told me that I could visit him as his guest of honour and that he would support me when I have children of my own.

I blushed at his open comment and bid him farewell as he rode the carriage into the direction of the port, from where he would sail back to his home country.

Meeting Raj had been an exceptional experience for me as I had gained another friend from outside the castle besides Shirayuki. Zen heard about my chess match with Raj and insisted that I play against him.

But of course, I kept the deal with Raj a secret. Shirayuki and I meet up with each other every now and then to talk about our daily life and events that were happening.

My only worry was when the King and Queen of Clarines would arrive from their international tour and meet me. I fear I may not be sufficient enough for them.

But I won't be going down without a fight. Afterall, since I came this far, I can go even further.