21.Choice

The rain was simply freezing. I held Shirayuki's hand in mine as we ran across the meadows with the rain showering us until we were soaked.

We had tried not to make much noise when coming down from the tree or the balcony. Even if the rain felt uncomfortable, it was able to hide us from lour captors. We kept walking for hours until I finally had blisters on my feet.

"Are you okay?" Shirayuki asked as we rested under a tree for cover from the rain. I took off my shoes and looked at my feet. They were indeed red as an apple and the pain felt unreal. I had never walked that long before.

"I think I'll be fine..." I said. "At least we escaped." Shirayuki sat beside me. She looked somehow...sad? "What's wrong?" I asked. "Is something troubling you?"

Shirayuki looked at me before answering, "You know, Lera. A boy named Kazuki was the one who kidnapped me. He was actually a helper at the palace and I thought he was just a kind boy who had no sense of inequalities."

I nodded in understanding. She continued, "But when he took me to that mansion, he told me all sorts of things that I even lost trust in myself for quite a few times."

"Like what?" I questioned. Even Shirayuki has insecurities that I never thought she'd have.

"Like how I was a threat to Zen even by just being friends with him and I give him trouble since he'd have to fight against everyone in the palace just to be my friend."

"Shirayuki..." I muttered. There had always been something that was annoying me and I wanted it to stop. "Perhaps...you like Zen?"

The emerald eyes quickly darted to mine. Her answer was obvious but I had been too oblivious to notice it before.

♢♢♢

Zen had finally caught up with the latest traces of the two missing girls. He found the mansion and the traces of the inhabitants of the suspicious premise. He found Lera's dress along with Shirayuki's work clothes.

But not the owners. Where are they??? Zen wondered in desperation. He had had mixed feelings lately. He knew he confessed to Lera and was still desperate for her answer. On the other hand, there was the sweet herbalist who had been his friend all along.

One thing was sure. He didn't want to lose both. He wanted to save both. The two girls were both precious to him in a differently specific way and he was in no place to decide for him and them on his own.

He needed to find them first. And he had no choice but to do something he thought he'd never do.

Working together with his brother Izana.

The search party had finally reached the mansion Zen had been earlier. They infiltrated the area and searched the place to every brick and corner.

Izana ran into Zen and they had a conversation which concerned the both of them as they were desperate on similarly equal levels.

Finally, the two of them shook hands. They have decided to work together on it. For the sake of two people.

The Princess of Arinos and the Red-headed Commoner.

♢♢♢

Shirayuki's face became as red as her hair. It was almost adorable how she went from serious to bashful. "Um..was it obvious....?" she asked shyly.