42.Lament

"Izana!"

The door creaked open and Izana entered in silence, making sure the two of us were all alone. His eyes were filled with pity when he saw the condition I was in.

"Lera. You look unwell. I heard from Lord Haruka of your situation. I didn't think they would take it this far..." He sighed. "I don't think I can just release you from here that easily. But I came to at least ease you from your pain."

With that, he unlocked my shackles and freed me from the chains. As soon as I was free, I rushed to hug him. "I'm not planning anything as they said I was, Izana! I promise you!"

Izana smiled sadly. "I believe you, Lera. This was all a scheme plotted by someone else. And you just seemed too convenient to become the bait."

"What do you mean?" I asked as I pulled away from the hug, staring at him in all curiosity. He was reluctant to tell me, caressing my hair to at least temporarily release me from the mental stress.

"Anri had been planning this from the start. She supposedly made you encounter more with her brother and made it seem like you were trying to make everyone fall in love with you."

"Although, I suppose your interactions with Zen were beyond my knowledge..."

Me with Zen?

"Zen and I have nothing intimate between us! He already accepted the fact that I love you." I reasoned and I saw a glint of hope flash back in Izana's eyes.

He stopped caressing my hair and hugged me. "I know, Lera. I know."

After a while, he let go of me. "Anyway, I can't just free you from here yet. It will just persuade people to think the accusations are true. I will deal with this as quickly as possible and take you somewhere safe."

I nodded, tears welling up at the edge of my eyes. His eyes softened from seeing my tears and wiped them away with his thumb as he held my cheek gently.

"I love you, Lera. Don't you ever forget that." He said and placed a small peck on my lips. I blushed slightly. I truly treasured all these moments with him.

"I love you too, Izana..."

♢♢♢

??? POV

The fair haired maiden elegantly walked to where her ambitions lie. The Queen. Haruto Wysteria was at a lost for having her son's lover called a witch and both her sons accused of being deceived.

"Your Majesty." Anri curtsied perfectly as if it was the most normal thing ever. Haruto sat back in her throne observing the one who had caused such trauma in her life.

"Please. No need such formalities. You are indeed the daughter of my husband's whore. The royal blood runs within you." Haruto spat with disgust.

Anri just laughed in humour. "You flatter me, my Queen. I am nothing but a commoner." She replied as Haruto sighed in exhaustion.

"Stop this farce. My initial plan was to make your brother marry the fallen princess and get the hell out of my sons' lives. You were nothing but a nuisance."

The Queen stood up and walked towards Anri. "I know you've planned this from the start. Now, both of my precious offsprings are nowhere near being able to pick a potential bride. And I won't hesitate to end your life if it gets worse than that."

Her eyes were coloured with anger, frustration and utmost regret. Anri noticed her emotions getting ahead of her and stated what she came for.

"How about we make a deal?" Anri asked. "I promise, no, I guarantee that this is the only way to save the honour of the Wysteria family."

Haruto sighed relentlessly and urged Anri to continue with her speech. What choice did she have at this point? What else could she possibly do to solve this?

"Alright. State what you have to say."

♢♢♢

"Zen!"

The red-haired maiden called at the younger prince. He turned as his eyes flickered with worry. Shirayuki approached him with haste.

"Shirayuki..." Zen spoke but his voice sounded weak. "Le-Lera was...!" Truth be told, he felt like crying. Not because he was accused of being the victim but rather the fact that almost everyone was calling Lera a witch.

"I heard from Ryu about Lera! Isn't there any way we can use to help her???" Even Shirayuki felt like she had to do something.

Zen sighed with distress. "We can't. More like, I can't. If I do so much as to go and meet her, they would punish Lera more than she's already in pain of."

"That means at least I can, right?"

Zen stared at Shirayuki, who seemed determined to save her friend. Zen had always liked Shirayuki about that fact. It was indeed a noteworthy trait.

"I can go meet her and at least help her feel better. They can't deny me access if I'm just going to give her food and medicine."

Zen felt hopeful. He had always felt guilty for falling in love with Lera and causing her confusion. He had promised to protect her too. And it caused him much frustration to let such misfortune befall upon her.

"You'd do that?" He asked and Shirayuki nodded to assure him. "She's my friend too. I deserve to save her as well."

Little did they know, everything had been plotted from the first day she arrived.