19.Strength

"Marry me, Hira."

Kaine had just said those words to me and I couldn't believe my own ears. Why was he telling me this? I saw no reason why he could have fallen in love with me.

He seemed to have noticed my confused look and finally grinned. "I thought selling you for money would be such a waste. And considering that you're actually quite obedient, I figured you would make a lovely asset for my life." he said.

I stayed silent, thinking what had just happened. "If you are thinking that way, that isn't called love at all." I declared. He looked into my eyes, stunned by my response. "If that is how you want me, it just means you want someone by your side. I just happened to be here and it may appear that you are getting the wrong ideas about me..."

Kaine didn't respond this time. Suddenly he looked dark as if I had just said the most ridiculous thing. He finally got up from the grass. "Get up."

I got up with a slight stumble. It scared me to see how Kaine went from kind to loving to stern. "Wha...what's wrong?" I asked softly.

"I can't marry you. Even if I am at a loss right now, I just can't. You deserve someone better than me." I managed to say. I couldn't even bear to look at him.

I was sent back to my enclosed room at once that day. Kaine certainly lost his spirit in showing things around and ordering me what to do. In a way, I had a tight feeling in my chest but all I could do was to bottle it all up inside of me.

Days went by and I wasn't feeling any better. Kaine fed me daily but he no longer seemed to look at me. He only came to give me a plate full of food and water and to take the utensils back.

It certainly would have been better if he had just been a cruel person and treated badly to me. Since he wasn't, I had second thoughts on how to think of this man.

Luckily, I was able to find out about the location of the red headed woman Kaine and Kazuki talked about before. She was captured in the opposite wing of the mansion from where I was.

It certainly would be hard to get across without getting noticed but it definitely would be worth the shot if she happened to be Shirayuki.

I started out my plan the next day. Kaine came in bringing my food and set them on the table. Then, just as he was about to turn to get out, I grabbed his shirt.

He stopped and turned back to me. "Um....I..well, I suppose I have done something bad towards you so I would like to somehow compensate for it..." I said.

"How so?" he asked. "Well, I thought I could clean around the place. Oh, and you don't have to worry about me escaping. You can just lock all the entrances leading to the outside."

He hesitated for a moment. Then replied with a stern 'no'. My hopes were suddenly crushed for a moment before I got up from my seat. I felt frustrated about how my stupid plan had failed immediately.

I hurried to stop him and accidently tripped upon the carpet edge and fell forward. My entire being was leaning on Kaine and he looked surprised and tried to catch me from falling over. I was able grasp the room key though.

Even Zen should be amazed by my sneaky ways now.

"Ah...thanks." I said. It felt so embarrassing like that! He held my hand and gently settled me back onto my feet. "Be more careful from now on. I wouldn't want you to get hurt." he said with a slight blush.

Eh!???? "Um...yes...I suppose I will..." I replied humbly and tried to avoid eye contact. "Well, I will get going then." he said and left the door after locking it with his key.

Wait!? He locked me in??? I thought I had the key! I tried opening the door with the key I had grabbed and unluckily, it was no use. I couldn't believe my indecent set of unlucky fortune and just sighed.

It was going to be another long night. I hope everyone isn't too worried about me. Both Izana and Zen....Kinare.....His and Her majesty......Shirayuki.....Kiki....Mitsuhide.....everyone....

I kept thinking about them until my eyelids slowly lowered and drifted me off to sleep. I could only hope for rescue now. But I didn't want to be a helpless damsel in distress.

I also.....want.....to....be.......use.....ful......!

♢♢♢

"Finally, we did it!" I heard the next day. It was around noon but I couldn't really tell since I already lost track of time. It sounded like Kazuki. He was suddenly cackling with delight.

"We finally found our customer. And he intends to pay a considerably huge amount for the girl. You can rest at ease now, Kaine. Now that she won't be a burden for you anymore." Kazuki said.

Does that mean? I will probably be transferred somewhere again! I need to do something fast! I need to-

"What if I said I don't want to sell her?"

Eh?

"Eh!??! You can't be serious, Kaine! You possibly couldn't have fallen in love with that girl, could you?!" Kazuki kept asking Kaine a bundle of questions to which Kaine only seemed to have shrugged off.

"I just don't want to."

Then I heard Kaine walk off somewhere. Kazuki was raging with fury. "I'll make sure you remember our code of not growing attached to anyone but us, Kaine."

Suddenly, I felt a slight shiver run down my spine. He wouldn't kill me...right? I still don't want to die....I still have things I want to do,apologies that have to be made, questions that have to be answered.....more importantly....choices that need to be decided....

Hopefully, I would be able to pull off my plan the next time they come to get me. Whoever it is. I shall make sure my escape is possible. Also whoever else that has been imprisoned for the same duration as me.

There is no impossibility that I can't do. I won't be the frail little princess waiting for her prince. I will be the proud maiden like how I ever wanted to be.