35.Poison

??? POV

"Is it true, Mother?" Izana questioned again. "This man...this person, is Father's son?" It was hard for the young prince to take it in all at once but he still kept his poise.

Haruto Wysteria, a woman of wit and intellect, simply smiled. "It is evidently so. And I have come to let him into the Wysteria family." She replied. Her voice full of command and undeniable statement.

"May I ask why?" Izana asked. No doubt was the queen just letting in any random stranger to simply roam around the palace and harm the family's reputation. She could have kept it a secret or a false truth forever.

But she didn't.

"Your father," she started. "Kain, had been able to keep this a secret from me for so many years. Of course, I am more than furious to find out the truth. But indeed, what better compensation is there than to accept his illegitimate son so full-heartedly?"

Izana just stayed silent. He knew his mother was a mysterious one but never this much though. "And what do you plan to do with this man named Kaine?"

"You are as naive as I was, Izana." Haruto said. "I am going to adopt him and make Kain seem like the bad one and I will be the one betrayed. Even if he is long gone and his bones rotten to the core, it is still going to be a part of his history."

"What do you gain from this, Mother?" Izana asked for the third time. Haruto laughed lightly this time and turned to look at him in fierce emotions.

"Why, of course, the perfect revenge."

♢♢♢

Lera's P.O.V

Was it a nightmare? Had it not been a mere dream!? It was more shocking to see Kaine here than seeing someone jump off a cliff for no reason.

The day before, Kaine ALMOST dragged me somewhere again. But Lord Haruka interrupted us. And Kaine immediately let go of me.

Maybe if I told everyone that he was the one who kidnapped me, they might somehow arrest him for good and have him captured.

But he was the King's son. Moreover, Izana and Zen's half brother! Would it be a sin to get him into trouble? It wasn't like he tortured me when he kidnapped me.

But I had to make sure he didn't cause trouble for anyone else. Shirayuki would most likely aid me in dissolving this case quickly and rightfully.

Since she had seen him before, I needed to make sure I explained to her first before she met Kaine. Kaine could come into my room any second and I was pondering on how to get out of this mess.

It was getting chilly so I turned to close the balcony door. I was about to close it when a pair of hands stopped me. Kaine! I almost screamed before he clasped his hand over my mouth, muffling my sudden scream.

I decided to not scream any further. He smirked victoriously at me. "I didn't know you were a noble. Or that I was one either. You cut your hair..." He lightly touched my hair. "Now that we're of the same level," he came closer and I edged backwards.

"Would you marry me, Hir-no, Lera?" He asked. Why was he so persistent on this matter? He should have known better when I first answered him.

"I can't. I won't, Kaine. I only have my eyes on one person." I reasoned and he chuckled darkly. "Do you mean the First Prince of this kingdom?"

I stayed silent. He seemed to be annoyed with my response. He gripped on my hand tight. "Perhaps you didn't know, but that man of yours is engaged already."

How could I forget? Lady Haki.... but, Izana told me that it was all for publicity before we came back...

"So, you have no choice but to choose me."

I felt sad. Even though I was free from the prison of my own country, I was not free from myself. I wasn't sure why Kaine would ever want me but if I were him, I wouldn't want me.

"Kaine..." I called and he looked straight into my eyes. "Even if Izana doesn't choose me, I won't ever turn away from my feelings for him..." I said.

"But I'm happy you found your family again. Now you're at your rightful place." I gave him a small smile with a soft look. That made him release my hand and frown.

"Does that mean, you won't even think of me as a second choice?" He asked in utter despair. "I'm afraid so." I replied. "Please, I will wish the best for your future."

Suddenly, he gripped my hand again and preventing me from escaping from his hold. "I do not need your pity, Lera. I need only you. Whether you like it or not, I will make you mine."

I was about to scream for help before a knock was heard and the door to my room opened and the eyes of the intruder widened. He came forward and tried to push Kaine away from me.

"Zen!" I called and he stood in front of me, alarmed of how Kaine had attempted to harm me.  "Why is a bastard of a man like you here!?" Zen growled in anger.

"It's been a while since I've last seen Lera. Isn't it natural that I want to see the woman I love after such a long time?"

Zen seemed surprised momentarily by Kaine's response. "Or are you just sad that I am now going to be the second prince as I am obviously the older?"

Zen clenched his fists. I knew his improbability to become King wasn't the cause troubling him. He was vexed on something much more complicated.

Zen must have felt worthless since Izana had always been so far ahead of him. The King, his father, was what mattered. Of course, it was more than harsh to take it all in at once.

"I have never once desired for the throne. Neither do I wish to fight with my brother for it. But if you're Father's son, I think I may just reconsider for you in his stead."

"But if you're going to act more as a disgrace to my Father's name, I will fight against you." Zen said. That only made Kaine chuckle.

"You speak greatly of the the late King. Maybe because I ain't you, I wouldn't understand. But all I want is Lera. If she is handed over to me, no one else will get hurt."

I grabbed onto Zen, fearing Kaine's words. But I had to turn it around somehow. I had to convince him myself. "Kaine," I called.

The both of them turned to look at me. "How about we make a deal?" I noticed the ghost of a smirk on Kaine's face. "If you contribute properly as a prince to the community, I promise I'll spend time with you."

"What makes you think that'll satisfy me?" Kaine asked.

I gulped. No, it wasn't time to be so frightful. "It is just a bargain but I believe it benefits us both."

"Lera!" Zen reasoned. "You don't have to do this just becau-"

"Zen." I held his hand as a sign of comfort. "I am willing to do this for us all."

"A bargain, eh? Alright." Kaine smiled smugly. "I'll take you on that offer then."