49.Bond

"Kazuki, have you any idea who Kaine's father is?" I asked and he looked hesitant before answering. "I do but he died a while back. "Why do you suddenly want to know that? Don't tell me you're interested in Kaine??"

I immediately shook my head. "It's not that, Kazuki. How much do you know about his sister?" I continued asking. He thought for a moment and answered. "You mean Anri? How did you know he has a sister anyway?"

"Uh...Kaine mentioned it to me once."

"If that's so, I have to say I don't know much but I'm certain she and Kaine don't have the same father. She was born years after Kaine's old man died. Maybe from her Mom's work. She worked at the palace at the time so it isn't hard to imagine."

"Wait, their Mom worked at the palace??"

If I have proof that Anri and Kaine's mother worked in the palace before the King died, it would be enough to say that Kaine's age contradicts his birth as royal. And if the timing matches perfectly, I can also prove that Anri's age makes sense if the King were to have an affair when Anri's mother was working at the palace.

If I can just tell that to them, the nobles would surely reconsider Anri and Izana's engagement. Sibling marriage is incredibly frowned upon at this time and age.

"Kazuki, around which year did their mother work in the palace?"

"Eh? That's too easy. You know that thing Shirayuki wears around her neck to get into the palace for entry?"

"You mean that necklace with the palace emblem."

"Yea, as long as you know the name of the person, you can find out at the palace. They record stuff like that for security reasons and as far as I know, they never delete any records."

"Can you tell me the name of their mother?"

"Hmm...let me think. I believe it's Carol Reeds. She probably took a job as a maid so it won't be hard. Reeds is a rare family name too so you won't get the wrong person, I'm sure but why ask all these?"

"I see. Thanks, Kazuki. Edgar, let's go. Thanks for the information, Kazuki. I'll explain everything when all of this gets sorted out."

"Wait!"

Edgar and I stopped in our tracks as Kazuki yelled out. "Yes?"

"I get the feeling Kaine has been tangled in whatever issue you're dealing with and it seems like he's not on the good side either. I just hope you find sympathy in his actions from before. He really loves you."

Nodding, I smiled at him. "I know, don't worry."

After departing from Kazuki, Edgar and I decided a plan to get me inside the castle. My only chance now was to expose of Anri's relation to Izana.

In the back of my mind, I still couldn't figure out the reason she was doing all this. Why would she go through all the trouble to marry Izana?

Such thoughts had to leave my mind as I prepared for the terribly risky adventure I was about to do.

Wait for me Izana!