6- Classroom Chats

{Arden's POV}

My head jerks up almost instantly.

My heart starts to beat at what felt like ten times as fast.

He saw me.

Shawn's smile dropped immediately. I could tell he was clenching his jaw.

Yet, neither of us broke the eye contact.

I was frozen, what was I supposed to do? Shawn... is my teacher? The thought of this made me feel sick.

"Uh, um, sorry class, where was I?" Shawn manages say, not daring to look in my direction again.
He rambles away to the rest of the class, but I couldn't focus.

"So today we'll be learning about the composer Ludwig Van Beethoven and some of his most world renowned symphonies.

Shawn hands out some pieces of paper, he starts at the beginning of the room and slowly works his way down to me.

"Mr Mendes?" I attempt to ask.

He however, clearly heard me but chose to ignore me.

/////

This felt like the longest lesson of my life. Shawn continuously looked over me and acted like I wasn't even there.

Riinnnngggg

"So I'll see you all again tomorrow, I hope you enjoyed today's lesson." Shawn announces, which resulting in a few positive murmurs from everyone, except me.

Everyone packed away their belongings and headed out expeditiously. However, I had to stay back and talk to him.

Shawn didn't realise this and his face looked shocked when he saw me standing in the middle of the classroom.

"Shawn-"

"It's Mr Mendes." He says flatly.

"Are you being serious?"
"Arden I don't think you understand my position."

"Well I'd like to try so please enlighten me. Is it because I left? I'm sorry if you were hurt-"
"Arden be quiet!" He says with such a stern tone.

He quickly goes over to the door and shuts it right up before he comes back over and leans on his desk.

"Shawn I'm sorry." I say once again.

"It's not that. I get why you did. But Arden not one single person can know what happened that night."
"Yeah I understand."

"I need you to promise no one is going to find out."
"Don't you trust me?" I retort.

"Well it's just that my whole fucking career lies in the balance of you not saying anything."
"Shawn I wouldn't do that to you." I say, hurt by his lack in faith in me.

{Shawn's POV}

"Thank you... I think it's best if we see each other as little as possible. Only during lessons."

"I agree." I could see tears forming in her eyes. Of course I felt horrible but this is my career and teaching is my life.

"Arden please don't cry-"

"I'M NOT SHAWN!" She almost screams.

"You clearly are. You don't think I feel like a dick? I'm supposed to go from being the guy who hooked up with a girl to being her goddamn teacher." I say a whole lot quieter.

"And I'm going from the girl who spent one of the best nights of my life with a stranger, to being his fucking student at school."

"You think that's my fault?" I mock. "I'm so stupid, how did we not discuss our age. I thought you were like twenty." I run my fingers through my hair.

"Shawn I'm going to go." She rushes.
"Arden-"

"What Shawn?" She says faintly.

"I told you, it's Mr Mendes."

She runs out the classroom, slamming the door behind her. I go and sit down at my desk, putting my hands on the side of my face.

"Gosh was she alright?" A woman says, walking into my classroom.

I sat up straight away. "Oh yeah, she disagreed with something I said in class, I guess she prefers her old teacher." I try to joke.

"Even seniors still act like children, they're still not mature. I'm Miss Westbrook, Polly."

"Nice to meet you Polly." I shake her hand. "What do you teach?"

"I'm the Art teacher." She chuckles. "And your name?"
"I'm Shawn." I smile.
"Well Shawn, if you ever need anything, I'm your person."
I laugh awkwardly. "Well I best be packing up my things, I have to get home and continue unpacking some of the boxes."
"Where did you move from?" She asks.
"A small town, only about half an away hours, it's called Pickering."
"Oh I've heard of Pickering, they have a fantastic views of Lake Ontario there!"
"Aha they do." I reply.
"Well I won't keep you Shawn, have a lovely evening." Polly says.
"Likewise with yourself, see you around." I return.

She leaves momentarily and I'm left alone.

Like I said to Polly, I have to get home soon so I continue to unpack some boxes before I leave to teach piano. I needed some extra money, and my Mom told me that one of her colleagues has a daughter who needed some lessons so I thought why not.

At least my day can't get any worse.