20 - Frozen In Time

{Shawn's POV}

Waiting for Arden to arrive was nerve wracking, sure she's come to my house before, but this time it felt different.

At school I've been giving her space to do her own thing with Ethan. Even though I didn't see them talk to each other in class.

I was watching Greys Anatomy when the doorbell rang. I get up and I out my cup of coffee on the table before I go to open the door.

"You alright?" I say to Arden, as I welcome her inside.
"Yeah I'm okay, I brought that sheet music you recommended." She replies, passing me thee sheets of paper.

"Oh that's good, shall we just get straight to it, or did you want a drink or something? I just made a fresh pot of coffee." I offer.

"I'd love a cup, thank you."

Arden followed me into the kitchen and she sat down at the table. Needless to say there was awkwardness in the air, which we've never had before.

"There you go." I say towards Arden, putting the drink down in front of her. I sit opposite her, biting my nails.

"That's a bad habit you know." Arden chuckles, lifting the mood.

I laugh and say, "I guess you could say it's my way of relieving anxiety."

"How comes you're anxious?" She asks.
"No I'm fine, really. Are you excited to be off school for Christmas?"

"God you do really sound like teacher." She giggles. "But yeah, I need some time out from that place, including the people."

"Anyone in particular?" I question, whilst sipping my cup of coffee.
"I don't know if it's weird talking to you about this, considering you're like a past lover and teacher." She jokes.

"Tell me, I wanna know if you're okay." I reply.

"Ethan in particular."

"Has he done something to you?" I say, slightly clenching my fist under the table.

"He hasn't done anything. It was me. I led him on and I feel awful. So of course he hates me now and in school it's so awkward." She replies, looking sad.

"You can't help who you like and don't, it's just one of those things." I say to her. "Wait, so you're not a couple?"
"We never were."
"I must've got the wrong idea when I came to your house." I return.
"When did you come to my house?" Arden asks, with her face looking puzzled.

"It was on a Friday, I knocked and Ethan opened the door-"

"He said it wasn't anyone in particular, he never mentioned it was you." She says.
"I came round to see how you were doing, like with your ankle because you weren't at school all week."
"That was so nice of you, thank you. I can't believe he didn't say anything. Funnily enough, that evening I told him how I didn't like him in that way."

"That's why I was giving you space at school, I didn't want you to feel like I was intruding or anything."

"I thought you were keeping your distance because of Miss Westbrook, last time I heard anything you were taking her out on a date." Arden states.

"Don't you know? Like you with Ethan, I realised that I didn't like Polly the same way she liked me. And I knew it wouldn't be fair if I was to start something with her."

"No way. How did she take it?" Arden's eyes widen.
"Awfully to say the least." I shrug.

"Well at least we can both have shit love lives together." She laughs.

In my head I was thinking that this is when I should tell her how I feel, but the little voice in my head was telling me that I can't do it right now.