22- Excuses

{Arden's POV}

"Mom why are you back.... I thought you was away this weekend?" I panic.
"That's not the point Arden, why are you back so late?" She demands.

'I-I just-". I couldn't help but stutter, how was I supposed to explain myself to her.

"Mrs Rose, after Arden came to my house for her piano lesson, and afterwards I offered to help her with her music theory for class." Shawn quickly says, not taking his eyes of my Mom.

"Oh I see... Well next time, text me or something Arden, I get worried." She replies.

"Of course Mom, I'm sorry."

"Apologies as well Mrs Rose, if I would've known-".

"It's fine, really Shawn. But thank you, for all the help with Arden. It's reassuring to know that her teacher is looking out for her." She replies, much more cheerful.

"I'll see you when we get back to school then Mr Mendes." I quickly say, walking through the front door, so that I was by my Moms side.

"Likewise Arden, have a good night, the both of you." Shawn responds, softly putting his hand up to wave. 

My Mom walks inside and I see Shawn wink at me as I close the door.

"He's such a lovely guy." My Mom says out of the blue.

"He's nice, yeah." I reply, feeling somewhat awkward. "Wait, Mom, why did you come home early? It's just, I thought you were meeting up and staying with that guy you met at the store?"

"Oh yes, right-"

"Did it not go well? Was he a dick? Married?-"

"Arden no! He was a gentlemen in all honesty..."

"Then what is it?" I question her, intrigued.

She pauses, turning her back and walking over to the coffee machine. 

"Mom, if something isn't okay, I want to know, in case I can help-"

She cuts me off, "Oh sweetheart it's just be being silly. I thought I was ready, you know, to start dating again, considering it's been years after your father left. But I guess I panicked on the date, I thought of all the possible worst case scenarios. Harry was so lovely to me, and he said that he understood but Arden I don't think he does." She says, with tears in her eyes.

"Oh Mom come here." I say, putting my arms around her. "You are the most strongest woman I will ever know, don't let someone as irrelevant as dad stop you from finding someone else and having fun in the process. Don't let him have that from you, and I can guarantee you not every man is like dad, a lot of them care." I add, smiling whilst thinking of Shawn.

"You know what, you're right." She gleams.

"Mom I don't remember the last time I was wrong." I grin. "Now go and text Harry!"

"Okay, okay!" 'She replies, hurrying away into the living room.

I lean against the kitchen counter top, I sigh at the fact she almost caught Shawn and I and we somehow got away with it barely.  I guess we've just got to learn how to be more careful when we're together. 

That can't be hard, right?

{A/N oh my god I'm so sorry it has taken me months to update, I literally hate not posting often. But as soon as my Christmas exams are over next week, I will 100% be updating much more!! I'd also like to say a quick thank you to everyone who reads this story as well as Kid In Love and Ruin (which has just got to 8k like wtf?!?!?!!!!). Thank you guys again and please don't forget to vote as it helps me so much!}