xxiii. "the things you do for love"

PSYCHE WAS SAT ON THE couch next to her sister with a huge smile plastered on her face. They were about to watch a Christmas film that her mother, Amara, had suggested that they should watch. She had already claimed the couch, and Arden sat beside her.

"The things you do for love," Arden teased, which made Psyche roll her eyes and sit back on the couch. "You know, I would be surprised if Tom didn't like you back." Arden sat back on the couch as well, turning her head to look at her younger sister that had her eyebrows furrowed.

"What? Like me back? I don't like him like that," Psyche said, earning a laugh from her older sister.

"Oh, Penny, I'm not dumb. I know that you have feelings for that boy," Arden implied, "and plus, Lisa told me," she shrugged.

Psyche sighed and looked at Tom who in turn looked at her. He smiled and waved at her, and she did the same before turning her attention back at her sister. "We're just friends, Arden."

"Just friends?" Arden scoffed, "you two look at each other like that, and you tell me you're 'just friends'? Yeah, right." She turned her head and saw Tom walking towards them. "Anyway, lover boy's here, I'm gonna go help mom," she said and wiked at Psyche before standing up, just in time that Tom had arrived.

"Hot chocolate for the best best friend in the world." Psyche looked up and saw Tom holding two mugs of hot chocolate with his usual cute little smile on his face. "You know, it would be really great if you took the other mug now."

Psyche laughed and took one of the mugs from him. "Thank you, Tommy," she said. Tom sat beside her, his eyes focused on the tv where the movie was about to start. "So, how are things with you and Heaven?" She asked, which made Tom turn his head to look at her.

"Heaven," he said, "well I was just on the phone with her earlier, and... well, she thought that maybe we shouldn't see each other again?" He informed.

"What? Why?" She asked.

"She said that I was a great guy but she thinks that I don't like her like I like this other girl that she thinks I like," he replied, "which I used to like but I don't think I ever stopped liking her because she is... a wonderful person and... I don't know," he added, sighing deeply before takib a sip from his drink.

"Oh," Psyche said. Great, he's not with Heaven but he likes someone else, she thought to herself. "Well, uh, who's the girl you like?" She asked, dreading the answer already.

"The movie's starting!" Paddy yelled, which immediately ended her conversation with Tom. Psyche sighed and turned her head to look at the screen where the movie had started.

IT WAS ALREADY 4 AM, and Psyche was wide awake whilst lying down on her bed. She was sharing a room with her sister, so she was slightly uncomfortable not having the bed all to herself. By 1:30 am everyone decided to get some sleep and just continue the fun in the morning, and since everyone was tired, they all fell asleep— except for her.

She sat up from her bed and sighed deeply, just as her phone placed on the nightstand lighting up.

new message from: thomas 🌹
you still up?

I guess I'm not the only one who can't sleep, she thought before typing a reply.

to: thomas 🌹
yeah. i can't sleep. you?