Oops I Almost Dated

I slammed my locker shut. My scrubs balled up in my backpack alongside week old laundry I'd been too lazy to take home.

"Hi."

I looked up toward where the voice came from. I forced a smile on my face trying to hide that I was exhausted and just wanted to get home.

"Hey Anna."

"Just getting here?" I asked leaning against a locker by hers.

She shook her head, her black hair slicked back in a knot on top of her head. I liked when she wore her hair up, it showed off her high cheekbones and long, slender neck.

"Nah I've been here an hour or two." She said. "How was your shift?"

"Not bad, slow."

It wasn't super busy. A chest pain that ended up being pleurisy, a broken leg, a sprained ankle, a kid with a high fever, and a construction worker who nearly sliced his hand off. Those were just the ones that stuck with me.  We had somewhere around 40 patients but nothing exciting. Overall it was pretty boring. And boring days dragged especially when it was a twelve hour shift.

"I hate when it's slow." Anna commented. I hummed in agreement. "Especially when I have to work with Will."

I made a face, I hated working with Will too. He knew it all but never actually did anything. He'd just bitch at you from over your shoulder. He also had tried to pursue Anna hard when she first got here and maybe he still was I wasn't sure.

"Just be honest, you secretly love him." I teased.

She rolled her eyes, shoving me in the arm. "Oh shut up. He's not even my type."

"What is your type then?" I asked before I could tell my mouth otherwise.

Anna and I had been flirting more and more, there was no hiding it. And I had almost asked her on accident. Got swept up in the moment or something. But I wasn't ready to date anyone. I was very damaged goods.

She shrugged. "Piper always says I like the type that are emotionally unavailable."

She looked up at me through her dark eyelashes. I felt my stomach twist and my chest clench. If you looked up emotionally unavailable in the dictionary, my face would be there. The worst part was I couldn't stop myself from flirting with Anna. If I hadn't still been trying to get over the girl that broke my heart some five years ago I definitely would have had a crush on Anna. I swallowed, what if she was the one that fixed my broken heart. I mean she was smart, funny, kind, cool under pressure, and gorgeous. What guy wouldn't want to fall in love with her?

"Lucky for you, you don't have to look too far." I said, letting a smirk fall across my face.

Who am I? What am I doing?

"Is that so?" She raised one of her eyebrows at me.

I shrugged. "Guess you'll just have to find out for yourself."

"And how do you suppose I do that?" She asked.

She had a playful glint in her dark brown eyes. I watched as she bit her lower lip. We had somehow shifted so we were only inches apart. I had a sudden urge to kiss her right there.

"I guess you'll have to let me take you out sometime." I suggested.

I must be way past exhausted and onto hallucinations caused by lack of sleep. Did I just ask her out? She laid her hand on my chest. I could feel the warmth of her touch through my dri-fit shirt. My heart was hammering in my chest. I wasn't sure if it was beating so hard in protest or excitement. She leaned in, pushing up on her toes slightly. She was only a couple inches shorter than me.