Table For Four

"You outta here?" Colleen called from across the locker room.

"Yeah."

I was jamming things in my bag as fast as I could. I had about an hour and a half to bike home, shower, get dressed and meet Anna and her parents at a restaurant in town.

"What's the hurry?" She asked.

"I'm having dinner with Anna and her parents..." I looked at my watch. "In an hour and twenty."

I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be. I was more stressed about time. Showing up late wasn't an option. First impressions were everything when it came to parents.

"Wow." Colleen leaned against the locker beside me, her arms folded across her chest. "Mister I don't want a girlfriend."

I stopped long enough to flick her off before going back to gathering my things.

"Sure seems like she's your girlfriend. I mean meeting the parents is a big deal." Colleen said.

"No it's not."

She shrugged. "In my experience when a girl takes you to meet her parents it's because she's expecting you to stick around for a while."

I zipped my bag, throwing it onto my back.

"Maybe I'm gonna."

I didn't wait for her to respond. I didn't have time and I didn't want to hear her response. It would probably just make me panic, my fear of commitment and getting hurt again the root. I unlocked my bike from the bike rack outside the doors and climbed on. I don't know if I ever pedaled faster than I did then.

-------------

I reached the restaurant doors ten minutes early. I hadn't stopped moving, working off of caffeine and adrenaline. I glanced at my reflection in the window. I had on a pair of khakis, a navy blue dress shirt rolled up to my elbows, brown dress boots and a belt. I took a deep breath, there was no turning back now. I shoved through the doors.

"Welcome to The Seafood Company, how many?"

"Reservation for Kopnek." I stated.

"You're the first one here." The greeter told me. "Follow me."

I wiped my hands on my pants trying to keep myself calm. This would be my first official "meet the parents" dinner. I couldn't really count Maci's parents, I was still in high school when all that happened. Besides the Cole's were ridiculously accepting and chill, I was guessing not everyone's parents were like them. I took a seat at the table, oblivious to what the greeter said to me. I just nodded my head. I shimmied a breath mint out of my pocket and stuck it in my mouth. My heart was starting to pound a little harder than I wanted as it grew closer and closer to time. I shifted in my chair at least a thousand times trying not to think about it. I could just barely see the door if I leaned forward and I found myself leaning forward more often than not. I just wanted to get on with it so I could either fail miserably or relax a little. My attention was pulled away from the door as the waitress appeared.

"My name is Ashley, can I get you started with anything besides water?" She poured a glass of ice water for me, sliding the drink menu a little closer.

"No thanks, water is fine for now." I said.

The waitress left with promises to check back in a few when the rest of my party arrived. I didn't care. I leaned forward, my elbows resting on the table top. I kept my eyes trained on the door, my leg bouncing up and down as fast as it could. I felt a wave of relief wash over me when I saw Anna walk through the door followed immediately by a strong urge to get up and run when a couple in their mid to late fifties followed in behind her. Was I really doing this? Colleen was definitely right. This was a step and not just a small step, a huge giant means something step. I sat back in my chair, taking a long drink of water.