Call From a Friend

I wiped a hand across my forehead as I biked home. It was at least 90 out and the sun was threatening to melt me on the spot. My tshirt was stuck to my back, beads of sweat trickled down my face. Why didn't I call a cab? I grabbed my water taking a swig and dumped the rest on top of my head. The cold water instantly turned warm as it ran across my skin. My phone went off in my pocket just as I capped my empty water.

"What?" I said into the phone.

"Well damn I missed you too."

"Levi?" I asked, a little unsure if I was hearing his voice right.

"Sure is. Miss me?" He asked.

"Are you home?" I asked, ignoring his question.

"Landed about an hour ago." He said.

"How was your trip?" I leaned back, balancing my bike between legs.

"Awesome, amazing. I didn't want to come home." He said, his voice light and care free. "I've already started planning another trip."

I shook my head. "But you just got back."

"I know but it was awesome, the people I met, the stuff I did. I'm gonna work my ass off and hopefully leave right after Christmas. This time though I'm thinking Europe." He said.

"What about your job though?" I asked.

He laughed. "I can design from anywhere. Besides the goal is to get  enough saved that if they did let me go I'd be alright for a bit when I got back."

"You're crazy."

"Don't knock it till you try it." He said. "How's Skylar?"

"He's good. You know Skylar." I wiped at the beads of sweat starting to once again roll over my skin. "When you up for hanging out?"

"I'm having dinner with the parents tonight. I don't have plans the rest of the week though." He said.

"Alright sweet. Well hit me up and let's hang out."

I grabbed my handle bars with one hand, my other hand holding the phone to my ear. I started peddling once again unable to stand the heat. I had to get home to the AC.

"Yeah for sure man." Levi said. "I'll talk to you later."

"Sounds good."

I peddled through the streets, my phone still clutched in my hand. I prayed for the down hills and loudly cursed the up hills. I definitely should have called a cab. By the time I reached my house I was sure there wasn't an ounce of dry fabric on me. I felt soggy and smelly and was pretty sure stuff was starting to chaff. I rolled my bike into the little shed in the back. I took a moment to stare at it. I needed to spend a couple days fixing it up. There was a leak in the roof, the door only opened without falling off the hinges if you held it just right and about a month ago Skylar put his foot through the plywood floor trying to get the push mower out. I had been so focused on the house that I just kept neglecting the little shed. If I kept it up there wouldn't be a shed left. With a sigh I started for the house. I'd deal with the shed another day. Today I needed a shower and I was going to stare at tile samples until I came to a decision about the backsplash in the kitchen.

I shoved open the front door, discarding my Nike's. I took one step farther, my eyes darting around my house. Anger seeped in in a matter of seconds.

"JAKE!" I yelled. "JAKE!"

I dropped my bag, running my hand over my sweaty hair.  I was going to kill him.

"JAKE!"

"Huh?" He called back from the top of the stairs.