Wisdom With A Side Of Staples

"Are you on any medications?" I asked my latest patient.

I pulled the towel away that he had pressed against the back of his head. There was an inch gash, nothing crazy but he'd definitely need some staples.

"No sir, I'm healthy as a horse." He answered. I smiled, glancing over at Anna. She was smiling too. "Minus the head wound that is."

"Good to know. When was your last tetanus shot?"

"Oh hell if I know." He said. "If my wife was here she'd be able to tell you but she's in North Carolina visiting her sister."

"What part of North Carolina?" Anna asked.

She had her hair pulled up in a bun, showing off her long neck. It was taking almost all I had not to shove her in a secluded corner and kiss her. The worst part was, I was pretty sure she knew it.

"Just a little south of Greensboro." He answered.

"I have some family that lives on Cedar Island."Anna said.

"You don't say? We're nearly related." He chuckled, either oblivious to the fact I was poking around his wound or he had a paint tolerance level that was crazy high. "I've been there. Oh it's been probably twenty years or so. The first and last time I'll ever be on a horse. My wife thought it'd be romantic to do one of those guided horse rides on the beach. Damn near fell off in the ocean when my horse took off. Scared the day lights out of me."

"I have always wanted to do that." Anna said, she smiled at the aging man sitting on the hospital bed. "Your wife is right, there's something about a horse, a beach, and the person you love."

"Women, they're all the same." He said with a chuckle.

Anna took the blood pressure cuff off his arm.

"Well Mr. Waterson." I started.

"It's Tim, son, Mr. Waterson's my crotchety old father and he's been dead for some time now, thank the good lord."

Anna widened her eyes at me, holding back a smile.

"Well Tim, we just need to clean it up and get you some staples and you should be good to go."

"Perfect." He checked his watch. "I've got a date with my youngest granddaughter. Can't miss that."

"Give us just a few minutes and we'll get you out of here as soon as we can." I said.

Anna left the room a few steps before I did. I had to get a local before I could clean it and staple it. Not that he even seemed to notice his head was bleeding.

"I have to go see another patient." Anna said, as I gathered what I needed. "I'll meet you back in there."

"No big deal." I said. "I can grab someone else if you want."

She looked at me over her shoulder as she walked away. "I'll be there in five."

She waved her fingers in the air before she turned around. What was that stupid saying? Hate to see her leave but love to watch her go. It fit perfectly.

I grabbed what I needed, shoving my way back through the door. Tim was right where I left him.

"Where's your helper?" He asked.

I couldn't hold the smile back that came to my face at the mention of Anna. "She'll be back, no worries."

He laughed. "Oh I wasn't worried. I was just wondering if I had time to give you a little wisdom, is all."

Wisdom on what?

"Oh?" Was all I managed.

"Don't pretend like the sparks aren't flying, boy. I may be old but I ain't blind." He said.

My jaw just about hit the floor. I didn't really think we were that obvious. He smiled at me, the creases in his face wrinkling.

"That one there's a keeper. I'm real good at picking out the good ones. Been married to my wife for almost 50 years. We got married when I was 18, she was 17. Been in love with her every single day." He said. "That one you got yourself there won't stick around for too long if you aren't serious. Don't let her slip through your fingers."

I opened my mouth to say I don't even know what when the door to the room clicked, Anna on the other side.

"So how many staples you think I'll have there doc?" Tim asked, switching gears so fast I nearly got whiplash.

"Uh, I, uh, six maybe." I stammered, trying my best to catch up.

It proved difficult. I had just been blindsided with the fact that A. I suck at hiding that I'm into someone and B. Anna might leave if I couldn't get my shit together. I wasn't sure if I'd consider her 'the one' yet but I definitely knew I didn't want her to go anywhere.

Tim slapped his hands on his dirt stained jeans. "Well let's get this show on the road then kids. I got a pretty little girl waiting for me to pick her for pizza."

----------------

I glanced up from the chart I was reading. Anna had her purse over her shoulder.

"You leaving?" I asked.

It was becoming my least favorite time of day.

"Yup, I'm free." She answered with a smile. "Miss me already?"

"Yes."

There was no denying it. She made work better. Shit, she sort of just made life better.

"Maybe if you can just look a little more sad, you might convince me to stay." She teased.

"Stop wasting time and get to work Jared." Will's voice said from behind me. "There's a new patient in room two."

I heard his shoes squeak against the laminate floor as he walked away. Anna and I both shook our heads as we held back laughter.

"Never mind, look as sad as you want. I'm definitely not staying." She said.

"He's ridiculous."

"The worst really." Anna agreed. "But listen, I don't work until noon tomorrow. We could grab breakfast when you're off, if you want?"

I glanced around me, looking to see who was in eyeshot of us. Everyone knew Anna and I were, whatever we were, but we were trying to be discreet at work. Luckily for me, no one was around. I pulled Anna to me, cupping her face in my hands. I had been dying to kiss her since I walked into work today and my self control was faltering. I pressed my lips to her, loving the feel of her warm breath on my face and her soft skin pressed against mine. Somehow even after working all day she still smelled like lavender.

"God I've been waiting all day for that." I murmured when we finally pulled apart. My forehead rested on hers. "You've been driving me nuts."

She smiled, her brown eyes locked with mine. "It was completely unintentional."

There was a playful glint in her eye which only confirmed for me that it had been completely intentional. I kissed her again. I could have kissed her all night if we weren't at work. We broke apart at the sound of a door click.

"I'll call you when I get off." I told her.

"Have fun with Will." She said, taking a couple steps backward.

"Don't be mean." I couldn't stop the smile on my face.

She placed her hand to her heart, acting baffled at the accusation. "I am anything but Dr. Trent."

I shook my head, picking up the chart I had discarded earlier. If my smile could have gotten bigger it would have. Tim had definitely hit the nail on the head, Anna was something and my head wanted to keep her.  Now if only my heart would stop panicking at the thought. She was just about to turn the corner when I called out to her.

"Dinner with your parents sounds great."

                       ---------------

So next chapter we hear from Maci!

I'm also curious, is there any "Janna" fans or is everyone still routing for a comeback from "Jaci"?

memepp I already know where you stand on this 😂. -DBR