Ross, Rachel & A Coffee Shop

"Where are you going?" Skylar asked as I jammed my feet into my Nike's.

"I'm gonna go get the parts for my brakes." I told him, snatching my backpack off the ground.

"My keys are on the counter." He told me.

"I'm gonna bike." I said.

He shook his head at me but didn't argue. I needed to relieve some stress and there was no better way than a 15 mile bike trip in 87 degree sun. I grabbed a couple of water bottles, uncapped a five hour energy, slammed it and tossed a protein bar in my backpack.

"Have you seen Jake yet?" I asked Skylar.

I had missed him the past few days. I was either at work or he was or I was sleeping and he wasn't around. I was starting to regret giving him his keys back especially now that I knew he was stealing Skylar's antidepressants. Needless to say we needed to have a chat.

"Nope." Skylar answered, his eyes trained on the TV.

"If he comes home, don't let him leave." I said.

Skylar nodded his headed with a salute before I walked out the door.
-------------

The forecast was definitely wrong. I felt the first rain drop the first mile back home. By the second mile it was raining pretty good but nothing I would have stopped for and by the third mile it was a torrential down pour. I chained my bike up and took refuge in a coffee shop. My tshirt was stuck to me, the air conditioning making me shiver with the cold fabric against my skin. I ordered a large red eye and found a booth in a corner. I wiped my phone screen off on a napkin. I sent Jake a text asking him to come home to help me with my brakes. I didn't really need help but I figured he'd come home more willingly if he thought I just needed his help.

"Jared?"

I looked up hearing my name. Maci was standing by the table. I took a deep breath trying to keep my heart from racing off on one of its stupid marathons.

"Hey." I said as nonchalantly as I could manage.

"How are you?" She asked, her smile wide.

"Good."

She stood there awkwardly waiting for me to ask her how she was. It wasn't that I wasn't going to ask, there was just a huge gap between my brain and my mouth. I managed to make my hand gesture to the empty bench across from me.

"Want to sit?" I added. "It doesn't look like this rain is letting up anytime soon."

"Thanks." She smiled, sliding into booth. Her leg grazed my knee and I tensed at the touch. "Looks like you got stuck in it for a few."

"Yeah I was on my bike." I told her. "Do you need a drink?"

I had noticed she didn't have a coffee in her hand when she walked up.

"They said they'd bring it to me when it was done. Looks like everyone's using this place as a refuge."

I glanced around at the coffee shop. Sure enough it was packed. It was still pouring outside.