Booze & Drugs

I had my arm wrapped around Anna, a beer in my hand. A couple of us from work had gone out for drinks. I looked over at Anna, she was laughing at something Colleen said. Her head was tipped back, her eyes closed, she looked like pure happiness. 

"So how's your business going?" I asked Logan, Deedee's fiancé.

He wiped the cheese from the corners of his mouth, nodding his head as he chewed.

"It's good, real busy. A little harder than I thought." He said.

"Oh yeah?"

He washed down his chili cheese fries with some beer.

"Yeah, I'm not the world's handiest man, you know?" He said.

I didn't. I barely knew Logan. But I nodded anyway.

"Jared's been remodeling his house all on his own." Deedee chimed in. "I told you, remember baby?"

"Really? You know how to do dry wall, tile, that sort of stuff?" Logan asked.

I already knew where this was going. I was going to get roped into helping Logan. I nodded my head, shrugging.

"My dad owns Trent Construction. Kinda was raised doing that sort of thing." I said.

"No kidding?" Logan said. "I was just looking at their business card the other day. I was thinking I might have to hire out for most things."

"Well I obviously recommend them. My dad does awesome work and he runs a tight crew."

"I just got this house for $15k. The thing is wrecked inside and out basically but the property and location are amazing. I've never taken on a house this rough, would you want to walk through it with me? Give me an idea of what the hell I just bought?" He asked. "I'd really appreciate it."

I knew it. Everyone stared at me waiting for my answer. Which really left me no choice. I went to open my mouth to seal my fate when my phone went off. Skylar's name flashed across the screen. I stared at it confused for a second. Skylar never called, we hardly even sent texts.

"I'm sorry, I gotta take this." I said, accepting the call as I headed for the doors. "Hey?"

"Shit, damn it." Skylar's voice said through the phone.

I could hear pounding in the background and the sound of muffled yells.

"Skylar? What's going on?" I asked, my finger pressed to my ear to block out the sounds of the city.

"You need to come home, right now." Skylar said, his voice strained.

I could hear him rummaging around, his breathing labored.

"What's going on?" I asked again.

"Jake's home. He's messed up." His voice was tense and panicky. "He locked himself in his room. He was going off about how he was done, wanted to stop it all. He didn't make a whole lot of sense but, shit Jared, I'm scared."

My heart stopped beating, I forgot to breathe, my world came to a screeching halt. The words 'end it all' on repeat in my head.

"Should I call 911?" Skylar asked.

"I'm on way. I'll be there in less than ten. Keep him talking, break the door, I don't give a fuck." I shouted, my feet carrying me back into the restaurant.

I'm sure I looked a mess as I rushed the table. My hands were shaking, my head going a thousand miles a minute as I threw cash on the table.

"Is everything alright?" Anna asked.