See Ya Around

I yanked my carry on out, hoisting it onto my shoulder, grabbing the trunk of Skylar's car, and slammed it shut.

"I'll go park real quick and come in. Don't go check in before I get there." Skylar told me, folding himself back into the front seat of his car. I nodded my head, holding my hand out for Anna as she stood on the sidewalk.

Today was the day. I was moving to Atlanta.

Anna and I stood there and watched as Skylar's car disappeared down the lane, mixing back in with the traffic at the airport. I wasn't quite ready to leave. For it to be real. I definitely didn't want to leave Anna.

"Come on, let's get out of the way."

I tugged her hand as the occupants of the car that took Skylar's spot spilled out. They were shouting at each other, their stress spilling over on to me, making my heart start to pound. Anna and I walked toward the door, her hand in mine comforting me and calming me all at once.

As we stepped through the glass doors into the airport, my anxiety increased. Everyone was moving, shifting, checking their watches, rushing off. I knew I had plenty of time. I had purposely planned to be extra earlier. It didn't change the fact that the whole thing had me on edge. I didn't mind flying but I definitely didn't love it. But the biggest thing that had me wound up was the fact I was moving. Moving roughly 722 miles from everything I'd ever known.

The only thing that made it slightly okay was Jake and my mom. At least I'd have them.

I took a deep breath, trying to counteract the grip that was slowly squeezing around my lungs. I found an empty bench against the glass front of the building and led Anna over to it. I wasn't sure I could sit but it was worth a try. I was trying to hide that I was wound up but I was fairly certain I wasn't doing a good job. Anna and I sat, my knee beginning to bounce as I tried to expel some extra stress.

"Nervous?" Anna asked, placing her hand on my bouncing leg to quiet it.

I let out a strained laugh, turning to look at her. I ran my hand over my hair, I hadn't bothered to try and tame it this morning. I knew it'd be a mess by the time I walked off the plane in Atlanta.

"Yeah, a little." I said. "That obvious?"

I knew it was.

She just smiled at me, raising her hand into the air. I pressed my palm to hers, aware that my hands were a little sweaty from nerves. I folded my fingers between hers, bringing her hand to my lips. Her skin was soft against mine, warm and smooth. I wasn't ready to have so much distance between us, I had just gotten used to having her next to me.

"I've never been to Atlanta." She told me.

"For real?" I asked, surprised that with all the talk about Atlanta in the past few weeks she had never mentioned it.

"Yeah, I'm excited I have a good excuse to go visit now." Her brown eyes sparkled with excitement as she looked at me. "The only thing that would make it better is if Atlanta was closer to the water."

The corner of my mouth pulled up in a half smile. I wouldn't mind at all seeing Anna in a bikini on the beach.

"I can probably make that happen." I said.

"You better." She looked past me, something catching her attention by the doors. "Skylar's back."

He was standing just inside the doors, scanning the crowds. His chest was heaving slightly like he had sprinted there.