‡ Chapter 12 ‡

Hello loyal readers who decided to stick with this story even after two weeks of no updates. Cue sheepish grin.

Unedited chapter... he-he...yeah...

TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!? *drops sick beat*

††‡‡‡†

All this time I've been wanting, hunting down answers, failing repeatedly. I was sick of it. Now I understood what Romane meant.

I was Levi's lap dog.

And I was running around on his leash, chasing for answers, restricted because Levi kept tugging me back before I could reach them. Oh, I was sick, so sick of it.

My fist slammed into the punching bag.

That was why I stayed.

Muggy sweat dripped off my temple. The drop of salty perspiration hit the floor. It rang in my ears. My fist sunk into the sand, penetrating the rough sack.

An owner still provided survival needs. Things Romane might not have provided. Take chances.

But not stupid ones.

They treat each other like family here. I doubted Romane treated any of his members like family.

I hammered the sack, a cool sensation trickling on my knuckles. Although Levi has kept my neck chained, he has taught me one trick.

Finding clarity. Guiding me to what I need and not what I want. I needed to learn how to survive. And to survive, I had to fight like hell, and fighting like hell has made me what I am.

"Your punches suck," a female voice said. I neglected the insult and slammed more hits. Vamp circled around so she was on the other side of the bag. Wanting to knock her in the nose, I swung it harder, but her pale hands caught the sack. "Stop."

With the last hit, my arms fell to my sides. My sharp gaze held her blonde curls that spiralled off her shoulders, envying her effortless beauty. She took my wrists and I flinched, her skin freezing. Almost as cold as Romane's. Her dark red eyes examined my hands. I glanced down and noticed my bleeding knuckles, painfully sore and throbbing.

Holding a bandage, she did a tight wrap around them and I bit back a wince. She lifted my wrists and opened her mouth. I lost my breath when her fangs gleamed before ripping the bandage from the role, tying a secure knot.

"Thanks," I murmured, unsure if it was appropriate to thank. Beating her in haja sangue either put me on her hate list or friend list. And I was scared to know which one.

In tight snakeskin pants and a tee, Vamp started punching the bag. I watched fascinated as she didn't break a sweat, her face composed, her breathes silent. "I know you want to prove your value," she said.

Transfixed in her still movements, I hesitated before saying, "Why do you care?"

Her slams increased with speed. "Because I'm training you." A tug of annoyance pulled my leg. Levi must have been too busy to become my trainer. He is a gang leader... "When I call your damn five times, I expect you to respond."

I snapped my head into reality and saw a disappointed Vamp. "Sorry," I grumbled.

"Don't sorry me," she said, and held the sack. "Alright. I'm going to lay down the deal, what's going to happen, why it's going to happen and how it's going to happen." She moved to the weapon wall and picked up a jagged knife.

"I will be training both your egos. The drug controlled ego and your normal ego." She continued to toss it up and down as she spoke firmly, "In order to prove worth to yourself, the Council wants both of your egos to hold value. To hold value, you must be a Sniper. To be a Sniper." She threw the knife, the blade spiralling straight and true, skimming my skull and stabbing the dummy behind. I touched my hair, feeling a small strand fall on my fingertip. Rising my gaze, not a hint of guilt was smoothed across her pale face.