‡ Chapter 15 ‡

What do you think of the new cover? Made by @fractional . She's pretty chill.  Follow her. 

Just a brief notice, there won’t be much humour for the next while and things will start to get serious and dark. 

Yeah…Not in the mood to be happy…

NOT EDITED. You’ve been warned.

+

Annoyance balled up in my chest.  “Why the fuck do you show up everywhere?”

His eyes twinkled and he leaned back in the stool, arms open.  “Coincidence?” 

I darkened my gaze.  “Doubt that.”  My nails grazed the counter, an itch building.  Did The Council expect me to seduce North America’s deadliest gang leader?  Just thinking of that was punch to the stomach.  Levi’s taunting voice entered my ears. 

Can’t handle the heat, darling?  I knew you weren’t ready.  My fingers crunched tightly, enclosed into a fist.  About to swing a new line towards Romane, his chuckle caught me off guard. 

“Wildcat.” 

I cracked my head to the side.  “Stop calling me that.”

Another deep chuckle shook from his shoulders.  “You know—For a Sniper, you have terrible aim.”

Wrinkles of confusion creased along my forehead.  A smirk toyed at his lips, and he nodded to something behind him.  Glimpsing over, the confidence exploded in my face.  He was blond haired, sitting five barstools down.  Wearing a similar red collared shirt, sleeves rolled, I stared with stupidity, left dry of a response to this discovery. 

Romane laughed this time.  “If Levi is teaching you how to attack the wrong target, you really should have joined Eagle’s Eye.”

I ripped my gaze off and coldly glared.  “I will never join your hell hole.” 

He wagered a finger, clucking his tongue.  “Nuh uh.  How would you know I live in a hell hole?  Because your owner Levi told you right?”  Left speechless yet again, he seemed satisfied by that and continued, “You have no proof I’m the bad guy here.  They’ve told you nothing.”  The certainty in his tone brought out my guilty look, using silence to admit the truth. 

He rose from his seat and tossed the bartender a bill.  He gave one last burning look and said, “It’s sickening how you can judge someone before you’ve even met them.  Don’t you see?  They’ve been feeding you lies, wildcat.”

Turning on his heel, he vanished into the crowd and left me with the empty beer bottle and shaking champagne glass wrapped around my fingers.  His comment made my body go rigid.  Was he telling the truth?  Had I been trusting the wrong people?  Was everything the Snipers told me…a lie?  But why?  What was the motive for that?  My mind was crammed with spilling thoughts and I held my head into my hands. 

“Oh god…”  I shot down the rest of the alcohol. 

I was unsure how long I sat there.  My mind was swimming in a pool of thoughts and possible lies and I wasn’t sure who I was—why I was here—who to believe—what was the truth.  Everything vaporised into a blank image.  I couldn’t function.  Sore confusion vacuumed my conscious right out.  Never had I ever been so confused, so stressed, so… lost.   

Words.  A human’s greatest weapon.  They could kill a human with a single syllable.  They could bring a human back to life, they could fix any broken heart.  They could break hearts.  They could push excruciating pain to the mind when knowing which buttons to press.