‡ Chapter 16 ‡

Awesome cover by @Sweet_chilli (it will be released soon) Follow her b/c she’s a doll

QUICK REMINDER> Remember haja sangue and what rush hour is (when the teams break off from the game and become independent. When Jess killed gang leader Max to prove herself to Levi and won the games).

Anyways, jam’in out to Feel So Good by Mase (#THROWBACKTHURSDAY) and Iggy’s new song “Fancy” and TRAP (who doesn’t like the base droppin)?

Writing instead of studying for math…Not good.

**NOT EDITED—FOR SERIOUS SHIZZLE THIS TIME**

+++

Rush hour gets your blood pumping.  It gives you a taste of the adrenaline and high radar of precaution.  Rush hour is just like our reality here as a Sniper.  Think fast, hit hard, aim right, and never miss.  Each second counts towards the next.  Each move impacts the one after.  Sometimes you don’t have all the time in the world.  And you’re gonna have to gather your wits, break apart from those you’ve trusted, and fight for yourself. 

All to survive.

My tongue curled around the crusty drool at the corner of my lips.  Blinking, my vision failed to adjust and I tried rubbing my eyes.  As soon as my arm lifted, a sharp pain snapped me awake and I howled.

Curiosity stringing my nerves, I slowly stared down.  A loose arm was sprawled across my bare stomach, infected with goose bumps and scratches.  My arm.  Ugly stains of green, dark blue and purple coated my abdomen, crawling just under my sports bra.  The abrupt realization stirred the boiling pot of confusion, more cuts along my chest.  The sign of the white bandage on my lower stomach didn’t help, it soaked with red dye. 

That wasn’t dye. 

I attempted to sit up and groaned, pain exploding in my ribcage.  My eyes rolled back, shutting close for the pain to smother.  What the hell happened… The last thing I recollected was blacking out in Levi’s arms, Vamp’s voice spilling into my mind now. 

“Fine, but she failed her fucking test!  She’s dead anyways and you know it.” 

My eyes weighed a ton.  It was too much.  How was I his sister?  Did I know him?  Was I related to him? 

Now I guess they thought I was unconscious because the last thing I heard was, “You know very well this wasn’t part of the test.” 

“They’re going to kill her, Levi.”

“I know.”

Coldness swept my body, dragging from shoulders to my toes.  Kill her.  My lungs tightened and I lurched over the bed.  Blurry chunks tumbled onto the floor and constant gags and gasps for air starting to be overwhelming.  Once I was empty, I turned over on the bed, head hitting the pillow. 

The pain was buzzing now.  It hurt to move—it hurt everywhere.  It hurt to know. 

I was going to die. 

Funny.  I expected myself to break into tears and pour out all my depression, confusion and whatever was left of my sanity to form a lake where I’d drown in sorrows.  The last thing I expected was to feel nothing. 

Perhaps I was okay with dying.  I accepted death.  It was inevitable.  One day I would have to leave, it was part of being human.  We’d take that awfully big adventure to our forever beds and leave behind a legacy, whether it’d either be good or bad.  That was our choice to make.

While I laid on the firm bed, I thought about what I left behind—what I would be remembered as.  I thought hard and long and eventually, I fell asleep without an answer, accepting the fact that it would be the last time my eyes opened.