‡ Chapter 33 ‡

I didn’t realize Romane was fondling my hand and I looked down to see him take off one of his golden rings, slipping it on my finger.  Jessie forced a sob out of my mouth, the ring fitting perfectly.

“The Eagles Eye is blind.  What do you fucking know?” Levi snorted.  “This couldn’t get any better.”  He peered over and smirked.  “A ring.  How cute.  Shall I be the priest?  I should’ve brought the bible.”   

I snapped my head around and saw the Sniper grinning from ear to ear.  I saw it.  I saw everything.  The sound of another metal piece collapsing in.  The smell of a burning corpse a room away.  Saw his honey eyes shimmering in wickedness.  The taste of revenge.  With unbelievable speed, I somersaulted, snatched the 212, squeezed the trigger and watched in an agonizing slow pace as the bullet whipped through the air, flying straight towards his heart, spurting the exasperation and insanity this man has put me in.

And missed. 

The bullet only speared into his shoulder, it spiraling out and then back in the wound, shooting straight to my gun.  He wobbled back and tripped, falling into the approaching smoke.  The rumbling began again and my heart raced as the last engine was going to explode.  I yelped for Romane to hold onto me.  I didn’t get a response. 

I turned around and realized he was gone.  Nowhere in sight.  It was impossible to see through the smoke and my lungs started to feel heavy, the air running thin.  I swooped the 212 in my hand, using my sleeve to cover my mouth.  My survival instincts were thrown into high gear and I sprinted to the initial destination.  Entering the hallway, I saw the room that hid the safety pods, reached for the knob but then the door broke down, fire gushing out to disintegrate where I would’ve been seconds ago.  The ground was vibrating now.  Beads of sweat rolled down my back and I stumbled, madly coughing.  It rumbled faster.  The ceiling was breaking around me.  The pillars were collapsing.  Light bulbs were bursting.  Taking one look at the transparent walls and beautiful blue sky, I threw myself into the glass, shattering it as I leaped off the plane and dove into the sky. 

It sounded as if the plane was screaming, it being ripped apart by its own destruction.  Small shards cut down my cheek as they fell past me.  My heart hammered against my chest, and I hurriedly dug around my surroundings, the burning plane plunging above me.   

An empty safety pod was floating below, it falling faster.  I pointed my toes and arched myself into a straight line, diving headfirst towards the safety pod.  I was descending faster.  Inching closer as time was running out, the wind plucked at my cheeks, them flapping back.  The ground was becoming clearer, the green grass turning into larger strands.  My fingers brushed over the round safety pod and I latched onto the handle, yanking it open to quickly throw myself in, closing the door.  The pod lit up and the seatbelt automatically strapped across my chest.  I tugged at the lever and my head smacked off the ceiling, the parachute ejecting as I slowly ascended.  A shower of burning metal rained out the window, an emotion leaking into my soul. 

Fear.

Jessie was merging her soul with me, her thoughts and my thoughts were trying to become one.  Trying.  Time would only tell if it was to be successful.

I was starting to feel.  I hated it.  But Jessie wanted otherwise. 

The landing was a little rough, and I heard the dirt tear.  Taking in deep breaths, I wobbled out of the pod and saw miniature dots hopping in the distance.  I glanced around and realized we were unfortunate to land on grass; the area would be in flames at the plane crash.  That wouldn’t be good if anyone was standing in the open field… 

A bolt of certainty struck me and I turned around.  Flames consumed the falling aircraft, devouring the plane to then spit out chunks. The smoke appeared to be painting the clouds black, gigantic clumps of birds flailing away at the scene. My nerves twitched and I naturally started backing away.  The plane was becoming awfully bigger.