48. It'd be pretty amazing if the school came together like in Sakurasou

CHAPTER 48

          "How would you like to join the Humanity Club?"

          The flood of students that passed through the gates didn't even spare a look in our direction and the flyer Kouichi was holding out for them.

          "It's a lot of fun!" Saki tried next.

          "Yeah, I watched their program this morning," girls giggled.

          "Do you people even know what the Humanity Club is?" I asked in turn.

          Blank stares were nodded our way left and right.

          "They're a little weird, right?" the whispers that had erupted didn't slip by unnoticed.

          "It's not even the end of the year yet they're advocating for some club?"

          "If they need more members it's probably some pathetic one."

          "WHO'S PATHETIC YOU LITTLE—"

          Strong arms yanked me back from lunging at the said girls, hand clasping overtop of my mouth. I struggled against Hibiki's hold but regardless of my flailing, he remained firm. Pushing out his head to the petrified girls shooting appalled looks at me, he flashed them an apologetic smile and wink. They immediately snapped out of their dazes and flushed like the giddy school girls they were.

          "Oh gosh, he's so cute," they squealed as they hastened on.

          "Kenzou-kun, right?"

          "Foreigners are so adorable!"

          By the wide grin on his face as he waved them off, I could just imagine his head inflating with those unnecessary compliments.

          "Trust me," he called out, pretending to shoot them with an imaginary gun, "I'm even more adorable once you get to know me—"

          I silenced him with a jab to the side. He emitted a not-so-quiet gasp, hunching over and cradling the spot. The girls and other students stopped to gape at me once again. I sent them running with a growl and menacing glare.

          "Why are you so aggressive?" Hibiki whined.

          A loud huff surpassed my lips as I folded my arms across my chest. "You're the one that started flirting with people who insulted the Humanity Club. And besides, you were born and raised here, stop accepting all that foreigner bullshit because your complexion is a little dark."

          He opened his mouth to retort and only let out a moan. Hinata dropped the flyers in his arm onto the table we had displayed, hurrying to his aid.

          "Are you alright, Hibiki?"

          Lower lip quivering, he shot up taller and threw his arms around him. "Hinata, Miyuki's being so mean to me. Nurse me until I feel better."

          Hinata faltered a step, unmistakably reddening to the point of a tomato. "B-better, but..."

          I sighed as I peeled my eyes away from them. As the bell was to ring any minute now, most students of this prep school had already disappeared inside the buildings. The fervent whispers erupting and popping all around me like bubbles swelled even more anger inside me than I'd have liked.

          I swivelled around, ignoring the heat that flushed my cheeks along with it.

          "What do you two need?"