50. Bye bye yesterday

CHAPTER 50 (FINAL)

          The graduates sat front and centre to the stage. Teachers flooded the right-hand side; first and second-years and families seated towards the back. As the band played slow yet saddening tunes, followed by the national anthem to which everyone rose to their feet, the principal, Fujiwara-sensei, gave a short but meaningful speech.

          Since we had to be seated in alphabetical order, Hiro was a couple seats down from where I was seated, Yuji behind. Hibiki, Hinata, Kouichi and Saki, seeing as she was in another class was elsewhere but even without looking over I could hear Saki bawling even before the actual ceremony could begin.

          Her blatant snuffles were brought to an extreme when they finally called up the third-years to receive their diplomas. With each boy that was called to the stage, the louder they shouted 'yes!' as if it were some kind of competition. And when Wannabe strolled onto the stage, primarily the girls erupted in hushed mirth. He purposely flashed the crowd a discreet smile and peace-sign, clearly appreciating the amount of recognition he was given.

I recognized some other faces as well—like Chinami from the Drama Club, Himawari Rack, and even Saki's older brother and sister—reminding me of just how much things were going to be different in the upcoming year.

It was to my surprise to learn later on that Wannabe was the one chosen to give the graduation speech, seeing as he'd remained the top student in his grade. It was a tearjerker, if anything, especially for the third-years. And immensely touching and powerful. And by the end of it even I couldn't hide the small tug in my chest when he hinted towards us and the subtle meaning of our club to him.

When the ceremony finally reached its end and everyone was ushered back to the final class of the day, from flowers in prettily wrapped bouquets and girls bombarding guys for their second buttons—the courtyard was full of parting sentiments and tears.

I'd never cared the least about graduations before, primarily because I didn't need to. But this year was different. Seisein Academy—the friends and bonds I'd accumulated here—was different.

"Crap, I lost them." I took a look around, attempting to spot where Hiro and Yuji had disappeared in this wave of students. I slipped out my cell but just as I turned it on, a cry snatched my attention entirely.

"Raku-sama!"

My legs halted as I passed another wave of sobbing girls out front near the gates. Rack stood in the middle of her minionettes bombardment, attempting to calm them down.

"You can't leave us!"

"Who will we idolize instead of you?"

It was like watching some kind of drama, the words they were spouting. And Rack's response was just as far-fetched.

"From today forth, the Himawari Raku fan club will have no choice but to come to an end."

"What!" they cried.

"No way, Raku-sama!"

"I will never forget our time together my dears," Rack went on, her own tears streaming down her cheeks. "But you all must move on to smaller and less important things."

"Raku-sama!" they all wailed in unison.

I couldn't help the amusement soaking into my countenance at this dramatic scene. But I guess it was naive of me to believe they wouldn't catch my staring.

Rack was the first to notice me, amidst her pool of sobs. My body went stricken at once, but after quickly rubbing at her eyes and smudging her mascara even further, she went speeding through her minionettes until arriving in front of me.