26. Why do my favourite characters constantly have to die?

CHAPTER 26

       "Why is it that everything you love is either unhealthy, addictive or 2D characters living on a screen?"

        Suzuki-sensei didn't look the slightest bit amused as she worked through documents at her desk. "Miyuki, get out of my office."

        I repositioned my head on the sofa, my eyes glued to the ceiling. "Lately I've been feeling kind of harassed by reality. I just want to stay in my 2D realm but then I'm forced to go to school and on top of that, join a club and socialize with people. It's unfair. Also, may I ask why my favourite characters constantly have to die? Like yeah, just kill them all off why don't you. I didn't need my heart anyway."

My makeshift counselling session had irked Suzuki-sensei to the final straw. She slammed her hands on top of her desk, anger apparent on her features.

"If you're so bored you would come here willingly during lunch, maybe I should give you more homework to do?"

I hoisted myself off the sofa and hung my legs over the edge. "I think it's time for me to go."

As I secured my bag and rose to my feet, Suzuki-sensei exhaled heavily.

"Why don't you spend lunch with the Humanity Club?"

I exhaled through my nose and hastened toward the doorway. "Yeah, my incoming lecture senses are tingling. Goodbye, sensei—"

         "Wait."

I clicked my tongue. When I glanced over my shoulder Suzuki-sensei beckoned me to take a seat in front of her. I bit the inside of my cheek in defeat and dragged myself over to the chair. Great. I got myself into another one.

Suzuki-sensei's countenance was filled with genuine concern. "I know for a fact those guys invite you to join them every day."

"And I turn them down," I responded. "Every day."

"Why?" she pressed.

"May I ask why I'm suddenly being interrogated?"

"Miyuki," she said, reclining in her chair. "You should give it a try."

  "I have," I replied. "With Hiro and Yuji once. Which resulted in me being insulted by Hiro's cousin, challenged to a Food War, and had the club nearly disband."

      Suzuki-sensei erupted into a fit of laughter. "That sounds like such a pleasure! I swear, those guys. Trouble always follows them around."

I deadpanned. "And how exactly is that appealing to be apart of?"

"Miyuki, you've brightened up a bit."

My eyelids fluttered. Suzuki-sensei smiled, resting her chin on her palms.

"I see you, Yuji and Saki talk often during class," she went on. "You've stopped being so persistent to leave the club and you're participating in the requests you receive—with little to no disagreement. That play you put on a while ago was fantastic, too."

My gnawing on the inside of my cheek was becoming tedious. "Can I leave?"

"Listen." I fixed my attention onto my teacher as she rose a brow. "You are no longer allowed to come into my office unless I summon you."

I opened my mouth but Suzuki-sensei beat me to it.

"And yes that means no more pointless counselling sessions or complaints about anime related issues." She answered my thoughts perfectly. "I don't care if you're not a fan of crowded areas or going outside; either you figure out a place to spend lunch outside of this office or you join them. Am I clear?"