49-3. There's no "why" for something like that

CHAPTER 49 (PART 3)

          "Is that why you called them here today?" Wannabe low-ridden voice carried quite the punch. He'd crossed his arms, narrowing his eyelids into slits. "You didn't even tell me you invited Ueda-san."

          Taisuke-san shrugged. "I thought it would be fit to introduce her to your friends, especially before you go." Wannabe's jaw tightened, fingers curling into fists against the fabric of his forearms. Noting that, Taisuke-san hummed, chewing leisurely at red liquorice. "Kazuya, there's no reason for you to dislike her so much."

          "I don't dislike her, I dislike you making these kinds of decisions for me." He grounded his teeth. "I'm not getting married to her. I already told you that when you first brought it up to me."

          "That was months ago. I was so sure you'd change your mind." Reaching for another handful off sweets, he extended out his hand. "Here, take—"

          "I don't care if it benefits you, I'm making my own decisions for my life and future." A wry smile quirked up Wannabe's lips as he shoved his hands into his pockets. "Even today, you talked like the Humanity Club actually meant something to you. Weren't you the one who looked happier beyond words when I told you it disbanded? Thought you could finally you keep me on a leash didn't you?"

          Taisuke-san's eyes shifted onto Hiro and I. We braced ourselves, but with his next blink, he ignored us once again.

          "Kazuya, it's still not too late." He was no longer smiling, floundering for words as quickly as he could. "Why don't you stay in Japan? There's no need for you to travel all the way out to a different country. You can still get accepted to the best university here and—"

          "I'm going; I've already made up my mind," Wannabe asserted, his dark look not vanishing. "And although she seems really lovely, I'm not getting engaged to Ueda-san either."

          Taisuke-san's jaw set into place. "Kazuya. I'm your father. I've been to countless more countries than you could name. And I chose this city to spend the rest of my life because I believe it's a good place for you. You will come to realize that too."

          "Maybe one day," he said. "But for now, I want to take a break from here."

           "If a break is all you need, you, Tatsuya and I—over the summer—can go—"

          "I want to visit my mother." Wannabe's eyes bore into his, as if already knowing how his father would react. Proof to that, Taisuke-san stiffened. The corner of Wannabe's lip tilted up. "I know Tatsuya would be overjoyed to see her, but if even you'd like to come with me, I wouldn't mind."

          "Your mother..." Taisuke-san coughed into a fist. "We'll resume this another time." He sent Hiro and I another brief peek. "In private."

          Pivoting around, Taisuke-san went towards the exit. He bid the two of us one last farewell smile as he left down the corridor. To go where, I didn't know. But at this moment, I didn't really care.

          I made a face, staring up at Hiro. See, I knew it. We'd totally ended up right in the midst of some family argument.

          Had it been my fault for nonchalantly speaking out? I couldn't stop the guilt from rippling through me. It had to be because of my outburst. How old did I think I was? Acting like such a baby, arguing in front of his dad like his entire invitation didn't mean squat.

          I averted my gaze to my toes, lips pressed into a thin line. When I felt a hand drop onto my head and ruffle my hair, my eyebrows shot upwards. I rose my head at once, my own hand flying to the spot. But even before eye contact, Wannabe was smiling warmly from ear to ear. He then lifted his head to Hiro.