38-1. You may not make it on anime-level territory, but you're pretty darn close

CHAPTER 38 (PART 1)

         "What the hell did they do to you?"

         The school courtyard was empty, and the wall I'd shoved Hinata toward as well as my foot I'd kicked to keep him trapped didn't exactly help to wipe away his discomfort. I admit, cornering him and having my heel to the wall like this wasn't much different from the lousy delinquents that had cornered Hinata that one day. Though, at this given moment, with my features morphed in irrevocable anger, I truthfully didn't care.

          Hinata, despite putting on that tough guy persona all day today, had begun to sweat. He promptly twisted his head away from me, attempting to keep hold of his facade for as long as he could. "You're freaking out over nothing. I'm—"

          "Hi-na-ta."

          I could just about feel his front fall to none. Shakily, Hinata shifted his eyes to me. And just one look alone was enough to wash his expression blank and replace with fear. Not that I blamed him. I was furious. And seeing my livid glare instilled enough fear as it was.

          I widened my eyes for emphasis and tilted my head, my hair falling onto my shoulders as I did. Now he was shuddering, complexion shifting to a sleet of white. "You'll tell me won't you?" I slammed my heel harder into the wall. "What they did to you."

          "H-Hoshino, you're scaring me," he finally sputtered.

          I gritted my teeth and dropped my foot at that. "Then tell me already."

          "But if I tell you, you'll just go after them."

          "You make it sound like I want to kill them or something." Scoffing, I brushed back my hair. "Don't worry, I'll keep those asses breathing at least."

           "I don't want that!" Hinata's lip was quivering, but his rise in pitch took me off guard. "Hoshino, I'm fine. Really. The reason I'm wearing this has nothing to do with them. It's just because I—"

          "Don't lie to me."

          Hinata's words caught in his throat. I aimed a scowl his way.

          "I'm sure I told you when you left the club. That even if we're not in the same club anymore, it doesn't give you the excuse to block us out. It's because you're the type of person who holes things up inside until it breaks you, I have to confront you and glare at you like this even though I don't want to just so I can hear you out. Can you not trust me or the guys anymore?"

          "That's not— Of course I can!"

          "Then what's going on, Hinata? Tell me already!"

          He silenced himself, unable to voice a response—convince me otherwise. I clicked my tongue. Why was it, with him and Saki both, it was always...

          Ever so careful, Hinata met my gaze. Somehow, it was calmer—convicted, even—than I'd ever seen. "I'm fine, alright? I can handle this myself."

          He brushed past me, just as the bells chimed, signalling the end of lunch. I twisted around. "Hinata—"

          "Class is about to start so I have to get going. See you around, Hoshino."

           I could only watch as he made his way outside of the courtyard toward the school building for class. Grinding my teeth, I glanced away. What was going on with him? Did this not have to do with those delinquents after all?

____________________________________

          "Hoshino, Yuji, we're supposed to be unstacking chairs."