28. Twelve zodiacs, and he's the cat

CHAPTER 28

       It was weird.

       More specifically, they were acting weird.

       Though in all honesty when was there a day that they hadn't behaved like the most worrisome lot ever to have stepped foot on this planet?

"I really worry about you, Miyuki. Forgetting your work at home like that..." Kyo sighed. We were currently standing by the front gates of my school, him with a hand outstretching a booklet that I'd panicked for the life in me to get. "You need to start acting more responsible."

        "It's not my fault Suzuki-sensei isn't clearer about her due dates," I responded. Once in hand, I glanced them over. "Ugh, you didn't even finish them for me?"

          "Who do you take me for?" Kyo said. A frown pushed down his mouth. "I already see what kind of path this is leading towards. Do you really want to risk failing your final exams in two weeks?"

         I puffed my cheeks to see the thing not even close to done. Guess I had no choice but to lie to Suzuki-sensei about some tragic reason why I couldn't finish this assignment. "Is the only thing you care about grades?"

          "I do care about you, too," he responded, extending out his hand and patting my head. "You're such a cutie, after all."

          "I'm not cute."

          His kind-natured smile ruled that right out. "You're coming straight home after school aren't you?"

          "Sadly."

         Kyo retreated, a proud grin in play. "Don't worry, I'll be nice tonight. If you finish this up, how about I let you cuddle up with your boyfriend?"

         My eyes sparkled, knowing he was referring to my otome games. He never let me use my PS Vita on school days. "Really?" I demanded. "I can?"

          "Only if you get work done."

         Resisting the urge to hug him, I tossed my arms into the air. "Yes, yes! I can't wait! I love you!"

         I didn't even realize that from behind me, chaos was building up.

         "Who the hell...?" Hiro demanded.

         "'Cutie'...?" Yuji echoed.

         "'I love you'?" Hinata said.

          Wannabe gasped and nearly collapsed from his weight. "A secret lover?"

          Puzzled, I withdrew from Kyo and we both craned our heads to see what the ruckus was about. With the exception of Hibiki who had tagged along for today, the group had stopped to huddle, whispering arguments back and forth. I met Hibiki's eye in confusion, and despite being equally baffled, as soon as we made eye-contact he sent me a wink. I dodged his gaze after that. I needed to remember just how much trouble the guy was.

          Kyo from beside me was blinking rapidly, head travelling back and forth. "Hold up, Miyuki, who are these people?"

           "My club mates," I replied anyway. "And Hibiki."

           "Hibiki?" Kyo's eyebrows shot up high on his face as he gawked at the said guy. "No way, your ex, Hibiki?"

          My expressions fell into a deadpan. "Can't you people just say best friend?"

         "Ex just has that intimate ring to it," Hibiki laughed, approaching us with a kindhearted grin. He disregarded the scowl I shot his way and instead turned his focus to my brother. "It's nice to see you again, Kyo."