49-1. I'm skipping a marathon of Akuma no Riddle for this

CHAPTER 49 (PART 1)

          "Welcome to my household."

          Hayashi Taisuke who'd worn a good-willed smile stood by the entrance of the large manor, an equally well-dressed Wannabe beside him. All of us returned smiles of our own, uttering warm welcomes as we entered the classy household.

          After Taisuke-san and a friendly Kouichi took the lead, Yuji and Saki went on after them, the rest of us following closely behind. My eyes glazed over the ivory walls then towards the fancy attires Hiro, Hibiki and Hinata were wearing. I then spared a glance down at my simple flannel and jeans and inwardly winced at myself for not coming dressed up enough. Why did I keep forgetting these guys came from rich households?

          "Sorry for calling you guys out this weekend," Wannabe said, gathering my attention. "Hopefully you didn't have anything important to do."

          "I'm skipping a marathon of Akuma no Riddle for this," I clarified.

          Hibiki shrugged. "I had to cancel the last performance with my band."

          "I was just finishing up a piece for an upcoming art contest I'm entering into," Hinata said. "The due date's tonight at 11:59 PM."

          Wannabe's face morphed from guilt but with a reprimanding look from Hiro, the three of us dodged eyes.

          "Sparing one evening is fine," Hiro insisted. His fingers fiddled with his crooked tie, frustration seeping into his features. He seemed ready to throw in the towel at any moment. Aiming his eyes straight ahead where Taisuke-san was explaining the passing paintings to Kouichi, Yuji and Saki, he once again opened his mouth, "So?" he said. "What's the big deal?"

          Wannabe wiped off his previous expression and carefully rose his gaze the same. "Honestly, I'm still unsure. He said it'll be somewhat like a farewell party since graduation is next week, but..."

          The mention of graduation left behind a momentary silence, but when my eyes landed on just how much Hiro was fiddling with his tie I made a face.

          "Just let me do it," I said.

          I reached for his arm, forcing the both of us to a stop. Hiro elevated his gaze with newfound surprise appearing in replace of his previous frown. He allowed his hands to fall to his sides as I skillfully took the lead, untangling the mess it had somehow become. I did the best I could ignoring the rest of their boring stares—but it was primarily Hiro's from above me that was sending sheepishness searing like a fire throughout me. Crap. I clearly didn't think this one through...

          I finished as quickly as I could, dropping my fingers and gaze at once.

          Hiro's glided over the now prim black tie, and though I couldn't see it, I could pin he was most likely smiling—a genuinely contented one with the right touch of shyness. "Thanks, Hoshino."

          I could barely surface a proper 'it's fine' without my voice sticking in the throat. I nudged aside the warmth flooding my cheeks. Why was I always on edge around him now? Did I really like Hiro that much?

          Hibiki clicked his tongue. "Agh, I should've played that card." He turned around, meeting the eyes of the redhead beside him. "Hinata, my tie is a little loose."

          I took the initiative to start walking forward. Taisuke-san and the rest of them had gone on a good distance ahead. "You're not even wearing a tie," I chided. "I haven't seen you in one for years."