[ 25 ] the truth

[ 25 ] the truth

As they drove up the lonely street in which the hospital was located, they saw only rubble. But it didn’t look recent. It seemed to have been done years, maybe even decades earlier. Ashton pointed to where the white building once stood.

“It was right here.” He swore.

He had passed out while the fire consumed the hospital and woke up in an unknown place. It was like an abandoned field and he wondered how he got there. Ashton firgured he had probably regained consciousness shortly after and walked there, seeking help.

He had been found in the morning by a cop, who instantly recognized him as the mass murderer The Ripper. He told the police about the hospital and that there still might be people there who needed help. Only relying on his knowledge of how the street and the building looked, he was able to lead them there. He only hoped Alice would be okay.

“Mr. Irwin,” The police officer said with a hint of annoyance directed towards the hazel eyed boy in the back seat. They didn't trust him and hand cuffed him to prevent him from escaping if he was lying about the hospital. Ashton involuntarily cringed at the officer's words. That was what Alice used to call him when he was first taken to Sunflower Fields. The man continued talking. “Be serious, where was the place you have been hiding in these past few weeks?”

“I was brought to this mental hospital!” Ashton exclaimed.

The other officer interjected. “Young man, Sunflower Fields has been closed since 1969. It was burned down by the family’s mentally insane son, Luke Hemmings. He burned the place down with everyone inside.”

Luke Hemmings. 

That was the name of Alice’s brother. He had to know what happened.

“That can’t be.” Ashton breathed.

“He survived the fire and has been locked up at the maximum security insane asylum for nearly fifty years.” One of the officers explained.

“Take me to him.” The hazel eyed boy said.

.

.

.

.

The room was dark and ominous as Ashton waited for Luke to be brought out from his room. When he finally saw him, he was surprised to see a teenaged young man in a light blue robe, his skin covered in burn scars that looked decades old. His blonde hair was gone, completely charred off his head, but the blue eyes were the same.

He was Luke Hemmings.

Upon Ashton’s request, the guards left the room. They were the only two left there. Ashton began, “Where is Alice?”

A smug grin lined Luke’s face, “Another one asking for my Alice.”

“Why isn’t the hospital there anymore?” Ashton asked another question.

Luke replied calmly, “The hospital was never there, its been gone for almost fifty years. What you saw was only your imagination. I burned it down, with everyone in it.” A maniacal laugh escaped his lips.

Even Ashton, who was a known killer, was afraid of the man he saw before him. This wasn’t like the seventeen year old he had met at Sunflower fields.

“W-What do you mean?” He asked, not sure of what was happening.

“Everything you saw, experienced, and lived these past few months was all in your head. Alice is dead. I killed her because she didn’t want to be with me. And if she wasn’t mine, she wouldn’t be anyone’s. That's why Doctor Jefferson locked me in that hospital.” Luke explained. “Its one of those supernatural experiences, Ashton. When someone is so mentally fucked up, they begin to see things other people don’t. Alice wanted to help you because that was just how she was. Maybe that’s why you saw her. Satan uses her spirit as a Valkyrie, and she thinks she's actually alive when she's sent to retrieve another soul, but she isn't." 

It finally sunk in for Ashton. “Alice is dead…” 

Luke nodded, “She never actually met you and she’s not coming back. Because of you, she lost her position as a valkyrie. She lost her purity and now she can't come back here. She'll stay in hell for the rest of eternity.”

“I don’t believe you.” He said, as more of a consolation for himself.

Suddenly, a ghost like figure appeared out of nowhere. It was a beautiful young woman with golden blonde hair, blue eyes and fair skin. She was dressed in white, but her clothes was ripped and burned in some places. 

She was Alice, his Alice.

"Ashton!" She cried.

"Alice!" 

She ran towards him and he tried to embrace her, but his hands went right through her. Luke let out a laugh. "You're fucking pathetic."

"I didn't mean to do this to you." She swore. "I didn't know they were using me to get your soul."

"I know." Ashton nodded. "I love you."

She opened her mouth to speak, but no sound came out. Instead, her entire body turned into smoke and was wisped away by a gust of air.

"She will stay in Pandemonium for the rest of eternity."

.

.

.

.

That night, Ashton Irwin was taken to a maximum security prison where he would go on trial and be tried for all the crimes he had committed. No one was willing to believe that everything had been product of a supernatural power. 

But he never made it that long.

He was found in his cell the very next morning, hanging from the ceiling. The officers got him down, but it was already far too late. A lone folded piece of paper was found on his bed.

Upon unfolding it, it read: Hell is heaven with her.

-

next will be the epilogue.

so keep reading ^.^

thank you for supporting this story. 

i love you.

-clary xx