[ 23 ] electroshock

[ 23 ] electroshock 

She panted tiredly, feeling lightheaded from the loss of blood. Her eyes looked down at her hand to see the makeshift bandage was completely soaked and colored crimson with her blood. Alice was able to reach the hall where the operating rooms were only minutes later.

Her eyes desperately searching for her brother.

Alice looked into each of the rooms, reaching the last one and found they were in there. It was a room separated by a glass wall that allowed doctors to examine operations as they happened without the patient being aware of it. They used this method to study and find out which methods were the most effective.

She pushed the door open, on the other side of the glass wall and stepped inside carefully, being sure not to make a sound.

The young woman was horrified at what she saw. They were already beginning and she brought her hands to her face, tears stinging her blue eyes. "Oh my gosh." She breathed in terror as she saw their medical instrument sticking into the front part of his head.

"Listen to me, Luke." Dr. Jefferson said slowly, as if he were speaking to a child. "Please recite the alphabet to me backwards."

Alice immediately knew where it was headed. When lobotomies were just becoming popular in the medical field in order to heal mental patients of their delusions, she remembered having read articles about the technique. She remembered feeling outraged that doctors would do that to a person. It didn't do anything to help their mental condition. All it served for was to turn them into speechless and emotionless shells of their former selves.

And it all began with having them recite the alphabet or a child's nursery rhyme. 

In the articles, she remembered reading that doctors would have a patient recite the alphabet and while the patient did so, they would scrape away at the frontal part of the brain until the person was no longer able to talk.

"Z...Y...X...W..." The blue eyed boy began and the doctors got to work.

Not wanting to waste any more time, Alice barged through the door that separated both rooms with the gun in hand. Pointing the gun at the team of doctors, she threatened, "Let him go or I'll kill you!"

The three turned towards her, fear outlined in their eyes. "Alice," Her father said calmly. "Put the gun down. We are only trying to help Luke."

Oblivious to what was going on, Luke continued reciting the alphabet. "P...O...N...M...L..."

Alice could still see the surgical chisel sticking out from the top of his head. Pointing it at her father and gesturing to her brother, she ordered, "Take that thing out of Luke right now." She said through gritted teeth. Her anger at her father was so great that she considered shooting him just because. "And do it carefully. If you cause some permanent damage in him, I'll have the other doctors perform a fucking lobotomy on you."

"Alice, darling..." Her father began.

But the blue eyed girl cut him off. "Shut up! I don't want to hear you speak."

"D...C...B...A..." Luke continued.

Her father cautiously took a step towards Luke, glancing at Alice every now and then. Very slowly, he removed the surgical instrument and set it down with the other instruments. She then had him seal the wound with stiches.

"Ok." Alice shouted at them when her father was done. "All of you go into the other room!" She pointed the gun at each of them and she tried to hide the shaking of her hand.