[ 22 ] lobotomy

[ 22 ] lobotomy

Ashton awoke in the middle of the night with Alice watching over him. He felt nauseous, lightheaded and sick. He attempted to sit up, but it sent a throbbing pain in his head which made him fall back down to his pillow in pain. 

Alice gasped. "I didn't think you'd be waking up soon."

"What do you mean?" He asked her.

"You were injected with insulin and forced into a state of coma." Alice explained to him, biting her lip hard. "My father thinks your presence affects the other patients, so he wanted to have you out of the way for a while."

"He should have done this sooner." Ashton joked.

But Alice bit her lip nervously, her face becoming serious. "That's not funny." She told him. "In some cases, the high levels of insulin injected into the human body can be too much for the patient to bear, leaving them in a permanent state of coma. And..." She admitted, "I don't know what I would do without you."

Seeing the concern on her face, he slid his hand into hers, giving it a light squeeze. "I'll always be with you." He assured her.

.

.

.

.

As morning came around, she saw a group of doctors pass Ashton's door, headed in the the direction of Luke's room at the end of the hallway. Alice hurried to the door and opened it, calling to them, "Hey, stop! What are you doing?"

The four men dressed in blue operating uniforms stopped and only one turned towards her. It was Dr. Jefferson, her father.

"Alice," He started, surprised, "I thought you said you were heading home."

"I had some things to do." The blonde haired girl said. "Father, what were you thinking? Putting Ashton into a coma, you could have killed him!"

"That boy is better off dead." Dr. Jefferson stated simply.

Outraged, Alice argued, "How can you say that? You're supposed to help your patients, not kill them."

"We don't have time for this, Alice." The doctor heaved a tired sigh. "The operating room is ready and we need to go get your brother." Now gesturing to another group of male nurses who approached them, he said, "Lock her in one of the empty patient rooms and then get the other boy. Take him to electroshock therapy. Doctor Brady will administer it."

"No." Alice shook her head. "Leave Ashton alone!" As one of the male nurses went to grab her arm, she yanked it out of his reach. "Don't touch me." She hissed.

She knew she couldn't get past them to help Luke and she decided to go to her father's office. She knew he always hid a gun in one of his desk drawers and took off running down the dim hallway with white walls.

The male nurses ran behind her and she could hear her father giving them instructions. "Just lock her in one of the rooms, but don't hurt her."

Her feet carried her in the direction of the office. She could hear their hurried steps as they ran after her, but they were faster than her and caught up to her easily. One grabbed her arm and pulled her close while the others arrived. Alice struggled against his grip, trying to get away, but she wasn't as strong.

The hold on her arms was tight like a vice as they dragged her to one of the empty rooms.

They opened the door and pushed her inside, making her fall onto her knees on the padded ground. She pushed herself back up on her feet quickly, but could not reach the door in time. They shut the door in her face and her fists banged on it, yelling for them to open the door. 

It was only when they heard the footsteps going faint as they got farther that she remembered she had the keys in her pocket.

Alice quickly unlocked the door and stuck her head out to check if the coast was clear. The hallway was completely empty and she stepped outside. She ran towards her father's office to get the gun in case she might need to threaten some people with it. But she didn't know if she would actually be able to shoot anyone. 

She felt as though every second was crucial now and she had to do everything to save both Luke and Ashton.

When she reached the office, she saw that it was locked. But with her keys, no door was an obstacle for her. Alice pushed the door open and jogged up to the wooden desk with different kinds of manila folders and papers scattered over it. She went behind it and pulled the first drawer open. There was only stationary supplies. The second drawer contained a stapler, a pair of scissors, and refill staples. The last one on the bottom had to be the one and as she pulled on it, she groaned loudly when she realized it was locked. 

She banged her palm on the closed drawer in frustration, she didn't have the key for it. Going back to the first drawer, she grabbed a pair of scissors and used the end to try to open it. Alice had opened the scissors and held the blade against her palm while the other blade was used to unlock the drawer. And when the blade sliced through her skin, she winced in pain, but quickly ignored the stinging.

The blone haired girl in a nurse uniform picked the gun up in her injured hand and sucked in a breath when the pain was too much.

She switched it to her other hand and went to find her boys.

.

.

.

.

Since Ashton's room was closer, she went there first. To her surprise, the doctors were nowhere to be found. Ashton frowned at the sight of blood that pooled in her hand and spilled onto the floor. "What happened?" He asked, pushing himself off his bed in concern.

He took one step towards her and fell to the floor weakly, catching himself on his arms.

"Oh my gosh, Ashton." She went to his side and knelt by his side. Her good hand went to rest on his shoulder and he lifted his head slowly, his hazel eyes looking into her blue ones. "I thought they came for you. They're planning to perform electroshock treatment on you." She cried. "And right now they want to perform a lobotomy on Luke."

Taking her hand in both of his, he urged her, "Then go help your brother. I'll be okay here."

"But Ashton-" She argued.

"No. Please don't worry about me." He shook his head. "I know how much your brother means to you and you need to help him. I can take care of myself."

Reaching behind him to his bed, he grabbed his pillow and ripped a bit of the case off. He used that to bandage up her hand which was losing a lot of blood. Before standing up, she cupped his face in her hands and pressed her lips to his. "I'll come back for you." She assured him. "I won't let them hurt you."

"I know." He nodded. "Now go. I'll be fine."

Alice stood up quickly and left the room, running towards the other side of the hospital, where the operating rooms were located.

She needed to find Luke before they turned him into something emotionless. She needed to stop that lobotomy operation.

-

i know its been so long since i've updated this.

but i'm going to try and post another update either later tonight, tomorrow or thursday. i am already working on the next chapter and i feel you all deserve it since i've been a bad author with this story lately.

and we are so close to the end. 

i'm glad to see this story is so well liked, its close to 200K reads and that makes me so fucking happy.

thank you so much for your support and sorry if the chapter is a bit suckish. its hot as fuck in los angeles. its been this way for several days. like 100 degree weather and i feel miserable. so i apologize.

and HAPPY INDEPENDENCE TO MEXICO AND ALL MY OTHER LATIN AMERICAN FRIENDS WHO CELEBRATED OF WILL CELEBRATE THEIR INDEPENDENCE. que viva la independencia nacional!

i love you all.

-clary xx