Prologue

P R O L O G U E

It was January 1st. Anne was walking down a dark alley, awaiting a certain visitor she has yet to meet. She held her baby bump with her right hand while she dialed her husbands number in the other. Anne and her husband were expecting their first child in 1 month from now, and probably their only child ever. It was extremely hard for Anne to get pregnant in the first place.

You see, Anne and her husband Des were not normal. In fact, they are what you might know as vampires. Blood sucking evil demons of the night, except Anne and Des were far from evil. vampires are commonly misunderstood. They don't actually burn in sunlight, it just annoys them, like it would annoy any person if it was sunny and you forgot your sunglasses. They don't sparkle either, movies have gotten creative with that one. They also don't disappear in mirrors, have special individual powers (other than the power of compelling, which they all have), nor do they run from the scent of garlic. On the contrary, garlic doesn't have the best smell. They do however have heightened senses, never grow old, and of course drink blood. Anne and Des have been alive for 100 years. Their lives were perfect together, but they always kinda felt like something was still missing. A child.

Another vampire misconception, is conception. You see, vampires can actually conceive a child, but it is difficult. Vampires aren't exactly alive, but they're not exactly dead either. Their organs (minus the brain) work slower then a humans. So their hearts beat irregularly and such. In other words, their sex organs work, but you really have to time it right if you want a child. Anne and Des have tried for 42 years to have a baby, and finally Anne was able to get pregnant.

You're probably wondering how exactly this baby is going to turn out. Well, there hasn't been a whole lot of vampire born babies in the world. They're kind of a miracle. However, about 400 years ago, the first vampire baby was born. He was born like a natural born human would be, but of course he was a vampire, and vampires don't grow older. If the baby was conceived half human half vampire, he may have had a chance of growing older, but instead he remained a baby. For 6 years his parents tried everything in their power to find a solution for their son. Of course they didn't want him to remain a baby, he would never experience life. It wasn't until one day they found a witch, who offered to help them with their situation. But of course, there was a catch.

The witch had told them she could stall his vampire abilities, meaning he would basically be human until he hits a certain age, then he would regain his abilities again. That age was 18 in human years (but of course since the baby has been a baby for 6 years already, that would mean by time he is 18 in human years, he'd only really be 12, or look 12. The witch however agreed to stall it for 6 more years just for him). The child's parents were blessed with the witches offer, but of course they wondered what the catch may be. The witch had told them, when the child reaches the "chosen age" (as the witch called it), then the child will be claimed by a spouse, or mate.  

Typically vampires choose their own mates, but this situation however was different. The parents asked who he would be claimed by, and the witch responded with her daughter, who had been searching for a mate for years. She explained to them that their son and her daughter would live happily together for eternity, and that is all she could ever want for her daughter. The parents were reluctant, but finally agreed to the offer, so long as they could meet her daughter first. Needless to say, they liked her and agreed.

The witch casted her spell, and from that point on, their son was claimed, and in a way human. Before the couple left with their baby, they had one more question for the witch. 'What if we wanted to have another baby?'. The witch then told them that if they ever did, she would make sure their baby was born appearing human until midnight on their 18th birthday, then they would become their true vampire self. However, that baby will have to be claimed too. By who? You may ask. Well, by any vampire or witch that would want them. Once they find a claimer the claimer must rub their blood in a circle on the mothers belly, to claim the baby. I know it sounds weird.