Chapter 1

17 years later.

Harry

My house was rather quiet today. Mum and dad were out doing whatever is they do after work, and I was at home laying on my bed, staring at my ceiling fan. I do this rather often, considering my parents go out a lot. They have since I was little, and I've never understood why, but I never really question it anymore. I once asked if I could go with them but they always reply with the same thing. "No, just the adults."

I'm practically an adult. I'm 17, and my birthday is in 2 weeks!

Whatever, my parents wouldn't look at me like an adult anyway. I've always been like a baby in their eyes. I'm an only child, and my mum had a complicated pregnancy when she was pregnant with me. She said I had a weak heart and my left lung collapsed. Hard to believe since I'm perfectly fine now. Have been for years. My life can be rather confusing.

Just then my phone rang. I picked it up without checking who it was first. I kinda had an idea already of who it was, and I was right. "Hello?"

"Hey Harry, whatcha up to?"

My best friend Niall, who's been my best friend since I was 12, calls me almost every day. Guess you could say that's true friendship.

"Nothing Niall, just at home" I responded.

"Well can I come over?" He asked. Like I really cared if he came over.

"I guess, when?"

"Right now."

"When will you be here then?"

"I am here."

I sat up and looked out my window, and sure enough Niall was standing in my front lawn. This isn't the first time he's done this. In fact, he almost never calls before he leaves his house. "Well come up then, you know where the spare key is. I don't feel like unlocking the door," I said. With that said, I hung up. Niall was in my room not even 30 seconds later. "So whatcha wanna do?" He asked. I shrugged, "aren't you the one that asked to come over?"

"Yeah but I figured you'd have something in mind. I was bored at home."

"Niall I'm literally the most boring person you know. I do nothing."

"That's not true. The most boring person I know is my grandma. You're way more fun."

"Well gee thanks. Still have no idea though."

We go through this a lot. Niall will always ask to come over then expect me to know what we should do. I'd literally be content with just laying on my bed in silence with his company, but Niall doesn't role like that. He needs entertainment.

"Well did you eat yet? We could go grab some food," he suggested. I was kinda hungry. After all it's like 5pm now, and mums not home to cook anything. I'd do it myself but I'm lazy. "Sure I guess," I said, "where too?"

"Mr. B's."

I nodded, and quickly put on my shoes and a sweatshirt. "Harry its January, you'll freeze in just a sweatshirt," Niall said.

"Niall I'll be fine, besides I never really get cold." It's true. It's like my body is just immune to coldness. My parents are the same way. Guess it genetic.

We went outside and hopped in Niall's car so he could drive us to the diner down the street. When we got there a waitress addressed us to a table and we looked at the menus. We ordered our drinks too. "Think I'll get a nacho," Niall said, "what about you? By the way I'm buying." He always does that; offers to buy my food, not that I'm complaining.

"Uh, probably just a grilled cheese , and thanks," I said. Niall nodded. When the waitress came over we ordered and she took our menus. We sat there in silence for a minute until Niall spoke up. "So got any plans for your birthday yet?"

"Not yet," I said, "my parents are taking me out the night before though. Usually we do dinner on my birthday but this year I guess we are changing it up."

That's another thing I don't bother asking about, my birthday. My parents always plan something for my birthday, but this year they said we have to do dinner the night before. I'd ask why, but I'm sure it's because they have something else planned for the day of. Hey, even if they didn't, it wouldn't be bad to just have a casual, relaxed birthday for a change.

"You could always hang out with me," Niall said. "Although, I already kinda planned to give you your present at school, and since your birthday is on a Saturday-"

"Niall you didn't have to get me anything."

"You say that every year, but I always do."

Before I could respond the waitress came back with our food. Niall's mega nacho, and my tiny, triangle sliced grilled cheese with a small side of fries since it comes with the sandwich. Niall instantly began to dig into his food. I took my time. "You're such a slow eater Harry, and you always order the tiniest meals," he said.

I shrugged, "I have a small stomach. And I don't eat slow, you just eat fast."

We ate our food in silence after that. I like our friendship, because we don't always have to say something in order for the other person to wanna be there. We are content just spending time with each other. Granted, Niall has always been a talker, but he never seems to mind when I don't talk a lot. I'm a much quieter person then him, mostly because I never really have anything to say. Although, a lot goes through my mind all the time. I constantly overthink things. Like the first time I met Niall, we were at school and he asked me to be his partner for a project in science class. I said yes and I thought I weirded him out because he wasn't at school the next day. Needless to say he got the flu, and I managed to avoid it somehow like I do every year when he gets the flu. But for a whole day I was convinced I was this freak and he hated me. When he came back, he acted as if nothing had happened. Then he said I was really cool. We've been friends ever since.

He was my first friend, actually. I have a lot of anxiety meeting new people so Niall actually being my friend is a blessing in itself.

When I finished my food, Niall had already been done for like 2 minutes. He payed and drove me home. By time we got back, my parents were home. "Shit," I mumbled to myself. I guess Niall heard though. "What's wrong?"

"I forgot to tell my parents where I was going," I said. My parents literally worry about me 24/7. My mums probably losing her shit right now. I told Niall I'd be fine, and suggested he go home before things got ugly between me, my mum and dad. He nodded and wished me luck, then waved goodbye as I stepped out of the car. "I'll text you later," I said. Then I walked towards my front door.

***
A/N one chapter down. Hope you like it(: