Chapter 5

Harry

I woke up the next morning without either of my parents beside me. The light was shining in through the window, and it made me cringe and hide in the blankets. I hate mornings. Luckily today is Thursday, which means 2 more days until the weekend, and my birthday.

I slowly rose from my parents bed. I yawned and stretched a few times before getting up. I'm super extra in the morning sometimes. It's just me stalling from having to get up.

I walked down the stairs and just as I was about to enter the kitchen, I heard my parents voices. They were whispering.

"Des I'm seriously worried right now," mum said.

"Anne maybe he was just dreaming," dad responded.

"And what if it wasn't a dream? what if it was a message? What if that man is Lou-"

"Anne keep your voice down."

"I'm serious Desmond. Harry will be 18 in 2 days. Only 2 days, that's all we have left and I'm freaking out." Mum sounded like she was crying when she said that. She was definitely holding something in.

"We need to tell him, Anne. We can't keep doing this."

"Tomorrow Des. We'll tell him tomorrow."

Tell me what? I thought. I knew my parents were strange but now it kinda makes sense. They're keeping something from me. I wanted to listen further, but when I moved my foot slightly, the floor creaked. Both my parents stopped talking.

I knew I had to play it off like I wasn't listening, so I stepped back, making sure they heard numerous foot steps before I walked forward and entered the kitchen. "Morning," I yawned. Both my parents just looked at me, giving me the most fake smiles I've ever seen. "Hi sweetie, are you hungry?" mum asked. I took a seat at my usual spot at the island, and nodded. "A bit."

"Well," dad said, "your mum and I were talking and we thought maybe we'd go out to breakfast this morning. How's that sound?"

"Dad it's nearly 7. I gotta get ready for scho-"

"We thought you'd like to stay home today," mum said. "We both have the day off and we wanted to spend time with you."

There were those fakes smiles again. Seriously, what are they hiding? I guess I should play along though. "Uh sure," I said, sounding a bit confused. "Let me just text Niall not to pick me up." I ran upstairs, changed my clothes, brushed my teeth, skipped brushing my hair because curly hair is a pain in the ass to do anything to, and grabbed my phone. I texted Niall telling him I wasn't going to school. Of course he asked why, and so I told him the truth. I don't know, my parents are weird.

Mum and dad drove us to a diner and we sat at a table. My dad sat across the booth, and I sat next to my mum. "Get whatever you'd like," dad said. I nodded. As I was looking at the menu, I couldn't help but notice my mum was texting someone. She seemed kinda frustrated and upset. I wonder who she was texting. It couldn't have been any family. Oddly enough, both of my mum and dads parents are dead, and they're both only children. I literally have never met a single family member of mine other than them. I used to think it was weird, but then again my entire life is weird.

"Mum who's that?" I asked. Bold move, Harry. "Oh nobody, sweetie. Just a coworker," she said. I didn't believe her. Mum didn't really have a lot of friends, no offense to her.

She stood up from the booth after that, and aimed her phone at me. "I wanna get a picture of you sweetie. Smile." Before I could even register what was happening my mum took the photo. I probably look stupid. She sat back down after that. She continued to text whoever she was texting, making sure I couldn't see.

The waitress came over and we ordered. It was silent in the booth for a moment until my mum spoke up. "I'm going to use the restroom, I'll be back." She got up and set her phone down on the table. I would've taken this opportunity to look at it, but it was locked. My dad and I just kinda awkwardly sat there.

"So maybe we could do this tomorrow too?" Dad asked. Why do they want me to miss school 2 days in a row. As much as I appreciated the offer, I wanted to go to school tomorrow. "Actually I wanna go tomorrow," I said, "Niall's probably wondering where I am. Plus he said he has something to give me." My dad nodded.

Just then my mums phone buzzed. My dad ignored it, or maybe he didn't even here it. I took a glimpse at it. A message popped up in my mums phone screen. It read, "he's so beautiful." Did mum text that picture to someone?

The screen went dark a few seconds later, and my mum returned from the restroom. Of course as soon as she got back she checked her phone. Her eyes looked sad when she read the message. I would've asked about it, but our waitress came back with our food. Mum shoved her phone in her pocket. "Alright who got the French toast?" The waitress asked. I slightly raised my hand. She handed me my food, then gave my mum and dad their food.

After we ate we went out. We drove around for awhile until dad found a park. He loves looking at nature. Mum was still texting her "coworker", or whoever it was. Every time I wanted to ask, she always would start a different conversation, or play it off like it was nothing. Something was definitely up.

And I attend to find out what it is. But maybe tomorrow.

***

A/N I'm sorry if it's slow right now, but the next chapter might change your mind.