Prologue: Meet Melanie Meyer

I woke up, yawning. It’s the last day of summer and I’m going to make the best of it. I smiled at the ceiling for no reason and jumped out of bed. I checked the clock and frowned. It’s still seven in the morning? Whew, I’m such a morning person!

            I shrugged and walked to my bathroom, taking a fast shower. As I slipped on my shorts and a plain white shirt, I stopped on my mirror to check my hair.

            In every part of my body, it’s the hair that I love the most. It’s curly and I’m blonde. My eyes are the second part of the body that I love the most. It’s color blue, like sapphire blue. A lot of people told me that I look like a Barbie doll because of my hair and my eyes. They’re just… perfect.

            I smiled at my reflection one last time and left the room in a rush. Mom was already in the kitchen, reading a newspaper as she sips her cup of coffee. She looked at me and smiled. “Good morning, Melanie. “Had a good sleep?”

            I beamed. “Yep!”

            She chuckled and patted the seat beside her. I sat there and she put down the newspaper. “There’s something I want to talk to you about, Melanie,” she said, her expression pained.

            “What is that, Mom?”

            When I said ‘Mom’, she winced and shook her head slightly. I frowned. Mom is not like this normally. She’s a cheerful person and so optimistic. There’s not a day when I see her crying or feeling sorry for herself. “I—.”

            “Good morning, people!” a cheerful voice said. We turned and there was my younger sister, Melissa. She’s sixteen, a year younger than me. She’s gorgeous, of course. She has dark hair and amazing blue eyes, just like mine. “What are you up to?”

            “Mom’s going to tell me something,” I said, smiling back. I glanced back to my Mom. “Mom?”

            She sighed and shook her head. She forced a smile at me. “I think today is not the right time to tell you this… Anyway, Melanie, what are you going to do for the day?” she asked brightly. “It’s the last day of summer! You should be having fun.”

            I laughed, forgetting our conversation earlier. “I know. I called Jasper last night to come over here.”

            Melissa cleared her throat as she sat across me and Mom. “Are you and Jasper dating?”

            I frowned and shook my head. “Of course not! Jasper and I are just friends. Why are people always asking if we’re dating? Because it’s not really true. Jasper and I… we’ve been best friends since I we’re four, right?”

            “Yeah. But you know what they say… best friends fall in love with each other.”

            I rolled my eyes. “As if that’s going to happen. Maybe Amanda and Jasper… But not me and Jasper. That’s just plain wrong.”

            Jasper Mendez and Amanda Peterson are my best friends since I was a kid. Well, I met Jasper when I was four years old because he moved in the house next to us. He’s still living with his family there, by the way. Amanda, on the other hand, was my classmate when I was in the first grade. We’ve became best friends and she hangs out with me and Jasper ever since.

            “Amanda is not interested with Jasper,” Melissa said, laughing. “You, on the other hand…”

            “I think I’m siding with Melissa in this one, Melanie,” Mom said, smirking. “I think you and Jasper would make a lovely couple.”