Chapter Eight: Garret's First Love

I yawned as I checked the messages on my phone. It was ten in the morning and I was on the dining room, waiting for Xayranne’s cooking. Flynn was reading the newspaper—it was still bugging me that a teenager was reading the newspaper—as we waited for Xayranne to finish cooking.

            I already told my Mom, Melissa, Jasper and Amanda about me staying here for a week. The response and reactions I received really threw me off guard. I guess I can’t blame them. Try to lose someone you really are close with suddenly and doesn’t tell you where you are. Of course you’ll panic.

            Mom’s reaction was like this: “What?! A week?! A freaking week?! What the hell are you going there for a week?! You told me you’re not kidnapped! Then why are you staying there for a week?! It’s inhumane! Now tell me if you really have a secret boyfriend! Or maybe—oh my God. Melanie, are you pregnant?! Is that why you suddenly disappeared?!”

            Melissa’s reaction was like this: “A week? What the hell are you talking about?! You’re staying away for a week? That’s not really like you, Melanie! I really need you to be here now because Mom is not letting me go to parties or hang out with my friends! She said she doesn’t want to lose me, too. And it’s Tommy’s—that my new latest boyfriend, just last week—birthday in two days! I need to go the party and Mom wouldn’t let me go! You. Need. To. Come. Back. Now.” I rolled my eyes at that. Apparently a party is sooo much important than a sister that was missing. Huh, a typical Melissa.

            Jasper’s reaction: “A… week? What—.” I, uh, not really going to tell you about Jasper’s reaction. Most of what he said next was a lot of profanities that you don’t need to hear or know.

            Amanda’s reaction was the calmest that I have received: “A week? Well, that’s better than you disappearing forever, right? Just promise me that you’re okay and you’re well-fed. As long as you are fine and okay, I’m good with that. I know you don’t want me to know what you are doing right now but… I just want to wish you good luck. This must be really important.” I smiled gratefully. At least someone who can understand my situation.

            Anyway, back to the present. I was reading my messages on my Inbox. Mom and Melissa greeted me a ‘good morning’. Amanda texted, ‘Hey, Melanie! I just want you to know… a senior asked me out! He’s name is Keith Robin. He’s a really nice guy and I know you would like him once you get to know him. Hope you’re here. I miss you. XOXO.’ Jasper, however, was a lot different. He texted, ‘Good morning, I love you, I miss you. :( Hope this week will come and pass quickly. I want to see you now.’

            I sighed as I placed my phone on the table. I really do miss Mom, Jasper, Amanda—even Melissa! Even though some of their reactions of me going away to a place I don’t know for a week were a little bit funny, I still can’t help feeling guilty that I’m making them worry about me. I don’t want them to feel so stressed worrying about me. I don’t want to be a burden to anyone.

            Another reason why I don’t have a boyfriend. I never, ever, ever don’t want to be a burden to anyone. I already lost my Dad when I was twelve and there’s something about that incident that made my Mom a lot braver and tougher than she ever was. From that early age, I realized I don’t want to be a burden to her. I know she’s alone and she doesn’t have Dad anymore. That’s why I don’t want to add up her problems because of me. That’s why when I have some problems, I keep them to myself or talk to Jasper and Amanda about it—but that’s only rarely. I don’t want to burden them with my problems, too.

            And that’s why I’m alone.

            “Deep thoughts?” Flynn asked, looking at me, amused as he handed me a plate of bacon and eggs.